1986 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by palmspringsolds, Oct 25, 2010.

1. palmspringsolds

palmspringsolds New Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's not a big project, but it's getting expensive. Bought this car for $400, has 70K miles on it and rust free California Desert car. It's been stripped down to bare metal, and it going to be resprayed in a facctory-correct light blue metallic. The next step is the woodgrain, and figuring out how to tackle it. Am thinking of using "Woodgrain for Wagons." I don't want a showcar, just something that I can drive every day and not be embarrassed of.

Attached Files:

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    They do good work and that's a car worthy of the expense. Rustfree, nice find.(y)

3. palmspringsolds

Wagon Garage:
    I just had a set of the Buick/Olds early 80's cast wheels refinished to replace the wire wheels...think that they will be a nice upgrade to the look...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. palmspringsolds

Wagon Garage:
    Paint and Prep Nearly Complete!

Think it's looking great, can't wait to see it all trimmed out...next step is mounting the rims and doing the woodgrain!

Can't wait to drive this car this Winter!

Attached Files:

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

That thing looks frigen great, bring her out in the sun for some pics so we can really see it shine!(y)

You talk wood, what are you planning? Did'nt these have a zillion little stubs on the body for the trim to hoild onto? Or do you have some thing creative in mind?

EDIT>>

I really like your all blacked out caps for the wheels. I only have 2 Buick for my 87 but have 4 Olds caps that need some magor TLC.... I just mite take your idea and black them out, it does look good.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. palmspringsolds

Wagon Garage:
    These did have studs that were spot welded onto the body. The body shop's solution is to take the original clips and rivet them to the body. The manager of the shop said he'd done it before, and I'll take his word on it. I am just waiting on the trim to arrive from my dad. I still need a single belt piece- a driver's side front fender strip.

Glad you liked the wheel 'solution.' Wasn't sure what to do. Will keep looking for an Olds crest that can be cemented to the center...

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Well, just IMO.....being a tin basher, a spot welded stud is water proof although a water/dust/dirt collector. A Pop Rivet is not water proof leading to faster long term damage via rust from water/dust/durt. But if pop rivets were to be used for the trim at least help the long term by doing it before the paint, at least you could seam seal before the paint:2cents:

IMO, your car looks great now, forget drilling holes and pop riveting after the paint job.:)

8. palmspringsolds

Wagon Garage:
    I thought about that, but being in the desert, I am not so concerned about rust, as it takes such a long time for stuff to rust...so I am going to go for it.

9. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

That's a great looking wagon. I can attest to the fact that bare metal takes about 30+ years to rust around here.:tiphat:

10. palmspringsolds

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks! I can't wait to get it back and start DRIVING it (again)!

11. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Beautiful job, Palm. I'd definitely throw some period correct whitewalls on there. I don't know if I'd even bother with the wood, it looks so good the way it is. Admittedly, it would be gorgeous with the wood back on there, but as I recall, there were quite a few manufactured without it. Thanks for the before and after pictures; it's always fun to see them and how much it better it looks after the face lift.

12. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi Matthew:

Your original photos look exactly like my dad's 86 Buick before I started the resto about a month ago. BTW, how did you post your photos? I have over 30 photos of before and after the resto that members have been asking me to post, but I would like to simply upload all the photos in a file that people can sift through at their leisure instead of having to upload each one.

I am just finishing up on the woodgrain and I do have several extra pieces of woodgrain trim stip left over, including the driver front fender trim. Not sure if they will fit your wagon, but let me know if you are interested. I hate to just give these to the local scrap yard, but I haven't had any responses to my for sale post on craigslist here in Chicago.

Also, Tedy -- I sent you an email about those pesky door trim woodgrain covers you have been looking for..........

Ted

13. palmspringsolds

Wagon Garage:
    The tires are going to have to wait; I'd love whitewalls, but I just put a set of tires on my Toronado (which was unexpected), combined with a water pump in the Ninety Eight...so the woodgrain is going to wait. This car did not come with woodgrain originally, so I am going to have the trim from a woodgrain car added on (at the end of the week).

I've always wanted a wagon with woodgrain, so you can't stop me, no matter how convincing your argument may be! : )

14. palmspringsolds

Wagon Garage:
    I posted my photos two ways...in the gallery following the steps, and then in the post using the 'go advanced' button below the message field. It will let you load 5 photos at a time.

Wow! I am not sure if the Buick trim will interchange? I think it might be wider? Do you have a photograph of it? The Olds uses a simple 1/2" chrome strip, check out the photo of the tailgate (with the car painted)

Maybe, though, if I substitute a full set of Buick side trim (do you have a full set)?

15. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'll try the photo uploads tonight if I get a chance. Otherwise, I think I can load up about 10 photos or so to give people a good idea of how bad the wagon was when I started.

Unfortunately, I do not have a complete set of woodgrain trim, but many pieces that I collected over too many years. In all, I think I still have the complete front fender trim pieces, one dog leg trim piece (really small!!), upper tailgate trim piece, both rear corner pieces, one quarter panel upper trim (driver side I believe) and one rear quarter low trim (driver also).

I updated my craigslist posting, but need to update the link.

Good luck with riveting the clips on -- I am trying to make do with clips I can salvage since no one seems to make these anymore and they break very easily. Keep going. It looks like you have made a lot of progress. BTW, when did you start your resto? Did youi paint it yourself?

Will keep you posted. Sorry the trim wouldn't work out for you. Did you already buy your woodgrain decals??

Ted