1980-90 Olds Custom Cruiser Rear Door Window Run Channels

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by smparr, Jun 21, 2022.

1. smparr

smparr Member

Wagon Garage:
    I need a new run channel for my driver rear door on our Custom Cruiser. The actual GM part numbers are different from the 1980-1985 Delta 88 Sedan but a lot of weatherstrip manufacturers lump them together. Can anyone tell me if the rear windows on a wagon are the same size as a sedan? Does anyone have a 1980-1985 Delta 88 Sedan? I just need the top rear window opening measurement from the sedan, I can get the wagon one from my wagon.

2. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

They're not -- I actually just went through this on my 1983 Caprice. (See my post two down.) Should be the same as the Custom Cruiser. I was able to use the sedan channels by cutting out a section along the top and joining them up. It worked fine and it was actually easier to install in two pieces. You can't even tell it's two pieces after the install. Just make sure you don't cut out too much! Cut a little bit less than you think, install, and then trim as necessary.

Let me know if you need pictures of mine.

3. smparr

smparr Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's what I thought, years ago I tried to put rain deflectors on one and the Delta 88 Sedan did not fit. Thank you for confirming that. How were you able to cut them without causing leaks?

4. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

Good question. I made sure my cuts were as straight of a cross-section as possible and just butted the two ends back up. My cut was right at the middle of the top of the door frame. I haven't driven the car in any rain but I did wash it and did not notice any leakage. Since you are cutting along the top section and it gets tucked up into the door frame, and if you do a good job joining them back up (i.e. don't cut too much out), I would say it's unlikely to leak. You could use some weatherstripping glue to join the two sections back up if you are concerned but I would say it's not necessary. (I actually considered doing that but the two pieces held so tightly together I didn't bother.)