1979 Buick Century Custom

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jul 30, 2021.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

101Volts likes this.
  2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Yes, it was much pick-and-choose option-wise back then. Nowadays there's very little in the way of option choices. Options come in "packages," and there's often just a base package and maybe one or two upgrades. One advantage to this for the automakers is that it greatly reduces the variety of options on cars going down the assembly line. which makes assembly much simpler. About the only thing that varies from one car to the other as they go down the line is the color.

Another thing is that many options that were considered luxuries back then and thus not found on every car are commonplace today. I can't remember the last time I saw or rode in any late model car, even a low-end model, that didn't have power windows, power door locks, cruise control, and air-conditioning. Whether these are actually standard equipment or not, they're standard as far as the public is concerned. Some or all of these may still be options on current cars, but to find a late model car without them is rare.

3. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Depends on what country you are in, and what you consider "Late Model" We have a couple members of out local Solstice/Sky club that have base model Solstice's. No A/C, No Cruise Control, manual Windows, manual transmissions, Cloth manual seats, and 1 of the 2006 models doesn't even have fog lights, or anti-lock brakes! I am told that anti-lock brakes were manditory by the 2009 model year.

As for the car in this thread I agree it was probably a customer order, much more common back then. But still possible today. In 2020 we special ordered my Wifes Daily Driver. A Charger Scat Pack, as she did not want a Sunroof, or Leather Seats. Also she only wanted 1 color Orange!!!!! I was surprised you could still pretty much order individual options on a Charger. Not all of them granted. There were still a few things that required an option "package" but we could still order it about 95% of the way she wanted it.