1978 Mercury Marquis Colony Park

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jun 11, 2021.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Was really pleased when I looked at the interior on my ‘77, it has the same rare Lincoln appearance package. Mine just has the Mercury wheel covers, but the Lincoln embossed seats and hood ornament are the same. In all seriousness if that is a factory moon roof, that has to truly be an ultra rare option. I would really love to see the Marti report on this guy.

3. jwdtenn

So very strange that with all those options it has crank windows.

4. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Due to it's location in the Detroit metro - maybe this was some Ford bigwigs car? Or maybe someone knew "a guy" who worked at Wixom and got some some goodies on the sly? I'd like to say it's a 1 of 1, but honestly I have my doubts.

60Mercman likes this.
  5. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I agree. It’s a 400 with some upgrades. Would doubt that the moonroof was even factory available. Checked all my brochures, and not a mention. I could see in 73-75 perhaps but by ‘78 460’s were getting scarce, and pretty sure you couldn’t get a vinyl top much less a moonroof. It’s a nice car, but as jwdtenn said, strange options and not sold that those are factory wheels. He already mis-spoke about the seats and hood ornament. That was that interior stamp on the seat back. I think if I had that rare an optioned wagon, I would have had the Marti report at the ready, to give your story some cred.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mercury would not market a 'Lincoln appearance package' on one of their vehicles, but some kind of weird Mercury dealer might. You've got Lincoln Town Car headrests on a factory Grand Marquis front seat, a Lincoln Hood ornament, and Lincoln wheel covers. Maybe the dealer thought he needed to do this to get this odd beast sold.

Country Sedan likes this.
  7. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    The seat backs on all of the twin lounge vinyl seats had this particular embossing. Yes it looks Lincoln-ish but it is the design Mercury used. And that design was used on all of the big Mercury hood ornaments. Not sure about the wheelcovers, as they are slotted and can’t tell if it’s a wheel or a cover and not familiar, as the ‘78 standard Lincoln wheel cover was a flat dish type. I think somebody changed out the standard Mercury wheels. That’s the only Lincoln thing on it. Also have a deep feeling the moonroof was an add on. Again, would love to see the Marti report on this guy . 76B5689C-C7B5-4CBE-BB9F-87300AEAC5A9.png

Country Sedan likes this.
  8. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Did do some research and if you wanted a “Lincoln” wagon there was a custom coach builder Eagle Lincoln Continental in Dallas, Texas that would fix you. Not a particularly stunning wagon, but you can tell it has Lincoln touches, as seen by this ‘74, and the ‘72 on the brochure 66177AB8-7967-481A-952E-2DAE32EB2C26.png

9. Country Sedan

Country Sedan .

Wagon Garage:
    According to Ford's "Car Buying Made Easier" 1978 edition, the moonroof and vinyl roof options were not available on station wagons.

60Mercman likes this.
  10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I checked that as well. Yeah I would want the Marti report. Me thinks this seller is full of the Ole CaCa.

11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Didn't catch that the embossed headrest actually had a Mercury 'badge' on it......

12. mrvans

mrvans Well-Known Member

Took my drivers test in my parents Colony Park. Yellow with brown interior and drove it often in high school. There is nothing special about this one; it has an aftermarket sunroof and Lincoln hub caps. It’s not especially well equipped. No power windows, cornering lights, or luxury decor package and almost every Colony Park had the DFRS. The sunroof nor the Ford corporate aluminum wheel option were available on the wagon. Sorry, BS on this seller.

60Mercman likes this.
  13. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    My ‘77 is the yellow with brown interior. We had a yellow ‘76 with the 2 tone yellow gold interior. Love them now, loved them growing up.

14. jwdtenn

Still am puzzled by the crank windows. :slap:

[​IMG]

15. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    In looking at that door I’m much more offended by the seller and his guff versus the crank windows. He mentioned the Ziebart. I know it’s a Michigan car, but those bottom door edges look kinda nasty.