1978 Ford Fairmont wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by Jim 68cuda, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Not sure if these have been mentioned before, but these little Fairmonts look pretty decent for the small scale. Atlas makes the 1978 Fairmont sedans and wagons in various colors in HO scale (1/87 scale) and the much smaller N scale. The larger HO scale is still smaller than the standard size Hot Wheels 1/64 scale diecast cars, but is the same scale as the more rarely seen 1/87 scale Hot Wheels. These Fairmonts are plastic. Atlas makes them as accessories for their HO scale and N-scale trains. The HO scale cars are $12.95 each and the smaller N scale cars are $15.95 for a pack of two.
    You know that HO scale train you set up around your Christmas tree each year? With these, you could set up an entire trainload of new Fairmonts to go around the tree (maybe mix in a few of Herpa's 1/87 scale 79 Mustangs along with the Atlas Fairmont sedans and wagons on the auto loader rail cars). Colors available are authentic 1978 Ford colors. The original group of releases back in December of 2007, were available in 5 colors. This newest grouping of releases for this fall, are in six different Ford colors. If you like Fairmonts, you could start collecting all the various Ford colors if you can still find any of the original 5 colors. The HO (1/87 scale) vehicles are shown. The smaller N-scale cars aren't quite as finely molded, but then the N-scale cars are probably less than an inch long anyway.
    I borrowed these pictures from Atlasrr.com where you can order these Fairmonts directly from the manufacturer if you can't find them at your local hobby shop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Jim. I've still got some woodgrain left to do one up.:thumbs2:

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Pretty accurate for HO scale. I've seen worse on some 1/25th models.....

4. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I like the way you think, Norm. Throw some wood on there and make yourself a Squire. No reason not to get the white out and paint some whitewalls on there as well.
    I've got quite a few Franklin and Danbury mint models. As far as wagons go, I've got the '61 green Country Squire, a maroon '50 Ford woodie, a big old Chrylser Town and Country, though I can't recall what year, and a '53, (I think), Buick. I'll take some pics and post them over the weekend.

5. Jim 68cuda

6. Forrest Nearing

Forrest Nearing Member

I bought a few a while back from the above link, selected a few colors, and they call came in raw offwhite plastic

they do have windows and are very accurate looking, but they don't look detailed w/ the chrome window trim and such :(

7. Jim 68cuda

I've seen these wagons before. They do come in each of the colors, so you must have gotten the wrong ones. Its quite possible that they purposely make plain ones. Its a fairly common practice for this scale as HO railroad modelers frequently paint and decorate vehicles for different businesses or uses on their train layouts. I would send them back and ask for replacements.