1978 Ford Country Squire

Discussion in 'Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media' started by FordWagonNut1979, Feb 9, 2010.

1. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I have always loved this movie since I was a kid. I remember watching this " North Avenue Irregulars" and "Freaky Friday" in grade school on reel to reel.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-fhrckGCe4[/nomedia]

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Never saw that up here! Too funny!:rofl2:

3. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Thanks WagNut! I just watched some of the youtube clips of this movie. The "peel off" scene is pretty funny. Cloris Leachman's charater is hilarious! The demo derby is nuts.

Back then, it was quite shocking to see brand new luxury cars being destroyed, but some of the shock value has worn off, because a Mark V is exactly the kind of car that is run-of-the-mill at any derby now.

This movie came out, along with of a string of movies and TV shows, where the destruction of scores of cars seemed the whole reason it made. The plot was usually incidental, culminating in a big demo finale.

The original "Gone In 60 Seconds" is undoubtedly the worst offender in the genre...luridly facinating, but, ultimately, sickening to watch. :vomito:

The hilarious "Used Cars" is, I think, the best...fun from beginning to end. :rofl2:

David :)

4. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this movie. It looks like it must've been alot of fun. Hated to see that Squire get all banged up like that.

5. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

Yea, it made my tummy a bit upset watching the wagon, the Lincoln, and the other GM biggies being trashed in the demo clip.

The original Gone In 60 Seconds, I liked MUCH better than the remake. Sure the '74 version for acting was a joke, but it its very heart of it, it was a car movie. I still cry inside when they burn that '72 Cadillac Eldo :(

Cloris Leachman is a very fiery lady. I had seen a part when she was on dancing with the stars or some show like it. She told some guy to speak English.......I damn near died laughing when I saw that.

Cloris is also in a movie called "Dying Room Only". Her and her husband drive a 1973 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate wagon in it. I have a pirated DVD copy that I found on Ebay. Its really a good movie over all.

6. snooterbuckets

Anybody ever see "It's a Mad Mad World". I think it was made back in '64. It didn't have any wagons as I remember, but it did have a bunch of cool old cars. Ethel Merman played the mother in law of a rich guy and they were traveling in a 1959 Imperial Convertible. I was just a youngster but I remember thinking how gorgeous it was, (the Imperial, not Ethel.)

7. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Snooter, I think there was a 63 or 64 Dodge 880 wagon in that movie. Could have been a Chrysler.

8. snooterbuckets

Yeah, TB, you could be right. I remember Spencer Tracey's '62 black Dodge police car with no lights or markings, (I think they called then disguise cars back then), and Phil Silvers had a late 40's Ford convertible that he drove into a river.

9. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World came out in 63, and many of the cars were 1962 model year Mopars. Marked and unmarked police cars were 1962 Plymouths and Dodges. Sid Ceasar's blue wagon was a 62 Fury. Milton Berle and Ethel Merman were in a brand new 62 imperial convertible and its pretty much totaled when Jonathan Winters drove the moving van into the back of it. Dick Shawn's new 62 Dodge convertible is also pretty much destroyed in the movie when he runs Terry Thomas' rented 61 Impala hardtop off the road. Taxi drivers Eddie "Rochester" Anderson and Peter Falk drive 1959 Plymouth cabs. Phil Silver's drives a 48 Ford convertible till he sinks it and steals Don Knott's 56 Ford convertible. Buddy Hackett and Mickey Rooney drive a VW convertible, and Jimmy Durante's car is a 57 Ford Fairlane hardtop. The only other wagon (other than several in the background) was Terry Thomas' Jeep wagon. I kind of like the Dodge M-37 Power Wagon tow truck Jonathan Winters steals.
    Great movie. One of the funniest movies ever made.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    An on-line Blogger that I read, Mark Evanier, writes mostly about Hollywood stuff. His favorite movie of all time is It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. He's got a section of his website devoted to it.....lots of good trivia.....

http://www.povonline.com/MadWorld.htm

11. snooterbuckets

Thanks Cuda for the whole fleet breakdown. Believe it or not, I remember every single one of those cars once you mentioned them. It is a classic, funny movie. I may try to rent it one of these nights if I can find it.