1974 Pontiac Grand Safari

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Dec 28, 2013.

1. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

It says that it is in transit. I think this guy is not being honest and is sitting on both of my checks because he wants more money than we agreed on. It really stinks that there's people like that out there selling cars.

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

If it's "in transit," how can you argue that the guy is sitting on both checks? He hasn't received the second one yet!

The tracking system should say when delivery is expected. What does it say?

3. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

He said that the deal is off because he didn't get it today. He also said that he would send anything he may receive back to me. Don't really know how that's fair because it's not my fault it didn't get there today. If it really didn't.

4. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Expected delivery was today at 3 PM.

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

First off, I think it's clear that he "really didn't" as the shipping service is telling you that, not him.

Did he tell you that he must have it today or the deal is off before you shipped it yesterday? If so, did you ship it for delivery today and pay whatever extra fees were required? What does the shipping service tell you the expected delivery date is?

I don't where in the country the seller is, but it is not yet the end of the day today. I've gotten UPS packages as late as 9 p.m. on the delivery date. If the shipping service shows that delivery is today, he may yet get it today.

What shipping service did you use?

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

By now, it should have been delivered anywhere in the continental U.S. as it is after 3 p.m. everywhere now.

Does the tracking site show that delivery actually happened? You don't need the seller to tell you whether or not delivery was made. The shipper's site will tell you this. If delivery has happened, the seller is a liar. But if it doesn't, you can't yet get mad at him. "Expected" delivery doesn't mean guaranteed delivery. I've had "expected" deliveries arrive as much as two hours after the stated time.

I think you have to wait until your shipping service tells you that the letter was delivered before you can start getting angry at the buyer. You may be right about his ultimate motives, but you need to have your ducks in order before accusing him of things. The first duck to get in order is to get independent proof that delivery was made today, and you get that from your shipper, not the guy you're shipping to.

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Don't know how it works in the USA, but in Canuckastan you can still phone your bank 24/7 or via the internet and cancel/stop payment a check (at a cost of course), witch I would have done with the first one you sent.

It does sound suspect though IMO, You sent $, then seller wants more $, then all is good but has not received payment 1st time around, yet all is good if you send another payment....but now the deal is off after you sent payment 2x?

I sincerely hope all works out for you on this deal, if not the wagon but you do not end up paying for this one way or the other, and get no wagon

8. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

I was going to stop payment on the first check but I wanted him to have a couple ways to get his money.

9. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, this is terrible! I hope it works out for you!

I am glad I didn't have the $ to buy this car, but hate this has happened to you! Hopefully you will get the car, or your money back!

10. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

I don't know what else I can do. I've done everything in my power to get him the money. This is a wagon that I really really wanted!

11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Does the tracking site show that the letter was delivered?

12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Why didn't you just do a wire transfer? I was going to go that way, but sent a cashier's check instead, waited until the seller told me it cleared, then I started shipping procedures.

13. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

This is just one of many questions. There is a lot we don't know here, and I'm withholding judgment on the honesty of the seller until a few more questions are answered.

For all we know, he really didn't receive the first check, and if the shipping site shows the second one hasn't been delivered, then the seller has done nothing wrong and is truthful when he says he hasn't received payment. Heck, from his point of view, the buyer could be the one who is acting dishonest, constantly saying that he has sent payment when, to date, the seller hasn't received anything.

As I say, we need more facts.

14. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

He wanted to do it by check. He also wanted me to hire a transport co. yesterday. I still cant believe that he hasn't gotten either one of these checks. We are about 7 1/2 hours apart.

15. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

All I am trying to do is make sure that this doesn't happen to anybody else.