1974 Buick Estate Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

A guy who posted on this thread called me an "asshole" and told me to "fuck off." There is nothing that I said that warranted that kind of response. When he apologizes, both to me and to everyone else who uses this website, then I'll be more than happy to move on.

I have a feeling, though, that we'll all be waiting a very long time.

2. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

I over reacted and I deleted that post. Sorry? Yes for that post. For the rest.....no. IMHO you are wrong for your accusations of Andy misleading, but that's my opinion and we all get to have them. Moving on, if anyone wants the entire history of this car from when it was ordered brand new by the dealer principal for his own private use until his death pm me and I can tell you every single thing about this car. Including all the oil changes, tire rotations and replacement, belt replacements, and everything in between. If I did t have a garage full of excellent examples of original low mileage cars already I would be a buyer. But since I am out of room for storage another person will end up with an awesome wagon image.jpeg

3. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Thank you.
    How about we get the story correct.

I did not accuse him of being misleading, initially. All I said was that, if it's such a simple matter to fix the A/C by just putting on a fan belt, why not do it? HE said that he didn't care about the A/C and that it has never worked in the time he has owned the car and that it's too much trouble for him to go the 30 miles to the auto parts store and get a belt.

So now, yes, HE JUST TOLD US that his comment about the A/C in his ebay listing IS misleading. Not in so many words, but he might as well have. The listing implies that all that is needed to fix the A/C is a new belt when he doesn't really know this to be the case.

Then YOU confirmed how misleading his listing is by stating that it used to be your car and that the reason the A/C doesn't work ISN'T just because of a missing belt but because the refrigerant leaked out. (With friends like you, who needs enemies!) So now we know that the car needs AT LEAST a new belt and a refrigerant recharge. But we don't know even this for sure as it most certainly needs to have fixed whatever caused the refrigerant to leak out.

I'm only repeating back what HE and YOU told us. Nothing "accusatory" here. Just facts as YOU BOTH have presented them.

What his ad SHOULD say is something like "the car has A/C, but it's not hooked up and hasn't worked in the three years I've owned the car. I have no idea what's wrong with it." Plain. Simple. Honest. Then people considering the car will know the correct story about the A/C system and can act or not act accordingly. For some people, A/C matters, while for others, it doesn't.

101Volts likes this.
  4. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

1974 Buick Estate Wagon, all original with 53000 miles. Burgundy interior and exterior. Power rear window and tailgate both work. Car has always been garaged and never seen salt. A/C car, everything is there just needs a belt. New dual exhaust. Only 4581 two seat estate wagons were built in 1974. Ready to drive anywhere! I reserve the right to end auction early because it is also advertised locally.

Where does it say all that is needed TO FIX the A/C is a new belt? The ad says that everything is there except the belt. The ad does not say that this car has working A/C.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    SwannyMotorsports likes this.
  5. SwannyMotorsports

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Easy. Right here:

The word "just" is the whole story here because it implies that a belt is the only thing that is needed to make it work. If what you meant is that all that is needed is a belt to complete the collection of parts on a system that would still be inoperable even with the belt, that is not what that sentence implies. I think the way I read it is the way most people would read it.

Much better wording would be something like "A/C car, everything is there, but it does not work and needs at least a belt and possibly more."

Nowhere does your ad say the A/C doesn't work. The presumption therefore is that it does since you bring it up and make the comment about needing "just" a belt. If the A/C doesn't work, SAY it doesn't work.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  7. SwannyMotorsports

He never implied it didn't work or does work. He said it needs a belt. So who is putting words in people's mouths now?

8. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Randy, what I'm learning about jaunty is that he wants to be the one who gets the last word in.

SwannyMotorsports likes this.
  9. SwannyMotorsports

LOL. he can have the last word. Doesn't mean he wins

10. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

You're just not paying attention, are you? He didn't say it "needs a belt." He said it "just needs a belt." There'a s world of difference between those two phrases.

11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Whether or not I get the last word in is irrelevant. I WILL continue to post as long as the record is being misrepresented. Mr. Swanny misrepresents what I've said every time he posts anything about this subject.

12. SwannyMotorsports

Ohhhh my. Words getting put into everyone's mouths at this point. So now not only am I misrepresenting "everything" Mrs Jaunty is now adding words and interpreting everything we type, write or post. He accused me awhile ago of putting words into his mouth. When in fact he is "reading into" a sentence and drawing his own conclusion on what it means. Pot calling the kettle black. And now we wait.......

AK27 likes this.
  13. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I'm interpreting what is written because the written word is the only thing we have to go on here. Words mean things. Choose them carefully.

I'm reading into his sentence exactly what anyone who reads that sentence would take from it.

14. SwannyMotorsports

Exactly what I did with your sentences. But I am accused of putting words in your mouth.

15. SwannyMotorsports

And like I have said from the beginning. You are baiting people into arguing with you then claim to be a victim. At this point this thread is completely useless as all it contains is you, using a dictionary and finding "big" words trying to prove your intelligence. Many of us on here are not extremely intelligent and "apparently" you are. I am guessing this is what you do all day long on multiple websites for entertainment. In using your words when Wagonkiller talked about his A/C without a belt. "WHO CARES". So you completely dismissed his comment as he was stating his opinion about the A/C not working and he didn't care. I don't really care about you, your comments or your opinion of this ad. I don't care what you think about me, Andy, apparently our "cult" following of this wagon(I guess a cult is 2 people now) or 3 if you count wagon killer,. You get off on this and that's fine. I can do this all day long too, but unlike you I have cars to work on, family to spend time with and friends to hang out with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.