1967 country squire electrical

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Squire67, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

2. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Okay. here goes. Is the cat jealous or does he think she's nuts?

Is_She_Nuts.jpg

Nothing better to do, until we get pictures, I guess :whistle:

3. Squire67

Squire67 Member

ok so I finally had some time and took another couple photos. After looking at all of the down loaded drawings here and spending time studying a shop manual I have I think I have finally figured it out.
    The harness with the 4 gang plug has 4 wires coming out of it going toward the engine
    Red with white stripe to hot side of water temp sending unit
    White with green stripe to cold side of water temp sending unit
    White with red stripe to oil pressure sending unit
    Red with green stripe to Ignition coil (this is the wire cut by valve cover I had no idea where it went )
    Supposedly this is known as the dash to engine gauge feed part C7AZ-14398 and I am not sure of the suffix letter on the end and I don't have a ford master parts book

the other side of the plug going toward the dash has the same 4 wires coming out of the plug going toward the dash
    Red with white stripe connected to "HOT" light
    White with green stripe connected to "COLD" light
    White with red stripe to "OIL" light
    and then we have
    Red with green stripe and Brown together so the brown follows thru the harness to what I believe is the starter solenoid and the Red with green eventually ends up at the ignition switch. so in conclusion this is called the Dash to engine compartment harness part C7AZ-14A005 and again I am not sure of the suffix letter on the end of the part number because I do not have a ford master parts book.

So in conclusion I actually need to replace two wiring harness. I could try to splice some correct wire on the coil side but the back side of that 4 gang plug the wires have been cut so close there is not enough wire to splice onto and those 4 gang plugs I cant seem to locate anywhere on the internet. Must be something special they use during the manufacture of the original harness.
    As I said wiring has never been my strong point but with the help of the folks who responded and several nights of studying books and looking at diagrams and the car I have figured It out (I think) Now on to who can provide me with an original factory harness to put this part back together correctly.

Attached Files:

4. Doghead

The coil is fed by the ignition switch. The other terminal connects to the distributor. If the car starts up and runs, that means that at least two wires are connecting to that coil terminal. The wire which is cut off is serving a load at the other end somewhere on the other side of the firewall.
    You need not replace an entire harness. I'd unravel that tape, until you can find that same colored wire which is cut short. A harness can always get taped back up later

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The plugs were a proprietary Ford design. But, Google "Weatherpak," that's the modern GM connector design, and you should be able to find square 4-wire connector designs that you can clean up the wires, install new terminals, and connect up.

6. Doghead

Any updates? :huh:

7. Squire67

Squire67 Member

I have to order the 4wire engine harness so that I can put that back the way it goes. The dash to engine harness the wires were cut or sliced so close to the plug there is no chance to “splice “ any wire to these. So I have to order a dash harness as well. I probably could splice the wires and use a different type plug altogether however I try to buy things back to original when I can. There is also no telling what else has been cut. I’m still investigating