1965 Ford/Mercury wagon: Detach and teattach Wood trim?

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by solvebring, Apr 6, 2022.

1. solvebring

solvebring New Member

Hi!

Since I’m a wagon rookie I don’t really know how these trims work, or if all 1960’s FoMoCo trims are the same, etc.

Well, in these pictures one can see part of my trim and woodgrain. The trim has before me been fully coated with paint – also the buttons, and the woodgrain is in really bad condition and has to be replaced. So, I’d like to repaint the trim and get new woodgrain vinyl. But, how to do so in a good way?

First, these buttons holding the trim … As I understand these buttons are just “fake” – they’re are pressed on as covers on top of screws? Yes? No? Is there anything to think of inside the body, behind the interior panels? In short: how do I properly detach the trim?

Second, I guess the woodgrain will be the easy most uninteresting part, but I’ll take care of that with some heat and patience. Seems like most do it that way.

Third, when the trim should be reassembled, should one use any sealer, adhesive or glue as well to prevent leaks on the backside?

And, instead of using these original screws and/buttons, have any of you done the same job but with a smarter, more effective solution? … I don’t have all of em buttons and I can’t find any refurbished ones.

Attached Files:

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

My friend Joe has a '66 shop manual, I'll take a look inside later today, see if there's any diagrams for the wagon trim.

solvebring likes this.
  3. solvebring

solvebring New Member

Oh, how nice. Many thanks, it's very appreciated! :cheers: