1965 Ford Country Sedan (Wagon) Tailgate Weatherstripping

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by SquiggleDog, May 15, 2020.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

What you need is to take the old nut, have it sized for diameter and thread pitch. That way, you can search using that info, then the last dimension needed would be the length from the mounting plate surface to the tip of the switch.

2. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

The glass is finally in. After the rust was removed from the support channel, I painted it with silver paint. Sadly, the ends of it rusted and split apart. I used 1/16" thick glass setting cork rubber tape and hammered the support channel into place.
    0801201831.jpg

I installed a new rubber stopper for a Ford Mustang hood (5/16"-18 threads, NOT the 1964 and earlier 5/16"-24 threads).
    0802201759.jpg

The new glass even has the CarLite logo etched into it like original. He had it made by https://www.sandersreproglass.com/ , who had the pattern on file--which is great because finding a used one would be nearly impossible. It was about $160 plus shipping from Vancouver, Washington. He was able to have the Carlite logo added on for a few dollars more.
    0802201842.jpg

One thing that really bothers me is the garage door seal I used doesn't reach the glass in the middle, so it will still allow water ingress, and it curls under the glass when lowering the window. Maddening.
    0802201843.jpg

It's all assembled! No more rusted out tailgate and broken glass.
    0802201848.jpg

noahford65, HotRodRacer and 60Mercman like this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Despite the problems to surmount, and I'm confident you will, the job is excellent, and looks good!

4. noahford65

noahford65 New Member

this kind of question may be in with another forum so if anyone can point me in the right direction. im working on a '65 country sedan as well. i have taken apart all the innards of the tailgate and cleaned the window regulator, the window motor and the channel the window sits in. as i am looking for these rubber liners as well. i have come across a problem while reconnecting everything, it seems as if there is no power to the tailgate at all. the window switch from up front doesnt work to the rear and it seems i cant find a ground on the tailgate either. i had gotten a new relay and hooked it all up on the engine bay and everything has power. it just seems like no power heading to the back. this is my first project at 20 years old so any help is greatly appreciated