1964 Comet Villager wagon

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 64 Comet, Jun 8, 2009.

1. 64 Comet

64 Comet New Member

Hi :tiphat:

I am from Saskatchewan, Canada and I have recently bought a 1964 Mercury Comet Villager wagon.
    The car runs well, drives and is complete, but it is a project. But with or without my rose colored glasses on, I love it and am quite excited about it.
    I also have a 1969 Mercury Cougar which I have almost completed restoring. It was painted last year, has many new parts, rebuilt 351W and I just have some interior work to finish.
    I appreciate all makes and models of cars and with my new enthusiasim for wagons, I thought it would be fun to see what else is out there and enjoy the scenery.
    I'll try to get some photos of my wagon on here soon.

2. Snakeeyes

Snakeeyes New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome::tiphat:

Let there be :camera:

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Your '64 is my wagon's grand daddy. :evilsmile: Just one province over too! Good to have you jump into our wagon train. :Welcome:

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Love them Mercs:Welcome:. We definatly needs :camera:, those are cool wagons.

69 Cougar eh, Bace model or XR7? I've owned one 69 driver, two 68 drivers and can't remember how many parts car 67/8 cats. I still own my first car a bace model 67....it's a cars in barns story rite now:rolleyes:

So now that we are introduced lets get back to your wagon....
    :ttiwwp:

:D(y)

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    He's surrounded Teddy! The Wagons are circled. You on his west coast and me and Andy on the east. :biglaugh:

6. autobotsquire

autobotsquire New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: Enjoy your time here on the forums.

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, 64com!

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  9. 64 Comet

64 Comet New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome :wave:

Well, here it goes, I am trying to post a couple of photos of my cars. I hope it is okay to show my Cougar here too, even though it is not a wagon. It will give you an idea of the steps I hope to take with the Comet wagon.
    The Comet wagon has a 260 V8, a 3 on the tree standard and has a power back window. The previous owner found the roof rack from a parts car and had owned the car since the mid 1980's. He used it as a daily driver back in those days and took his kids to their various activities. He is a great guy and owns 2 other Comets and was good enough to sell this one to me. He is also an authority on these Comets and should be a great help with information.
    I plan to restore it to a nice summer driver that I can be proud of. I don't mind a standard, but may change it to an automatic as the previous owner said he has all the parts to convert it. I also will likely add Air Conditioning to it.
    This project may take 2 or 3 years as these projects always seem to take a long time.

1964 Comet Villager wagon.jpeg

My '69 Cougar has a 351W and was brought here from California by the guy I bought it from. It was rust free and in general good shape when I got it, but the paint was terrible, it had a ugly after market sun roof installed. I also found out that the engine was close to hatched too. So I had the engine pulled and rebuilt, added headers, bought a parts car and had the body shop take the roof with the sunroof off and then use the roof skin from my parts car. They did a nice job on the body and paint and the engine. I also bought a new front end kit (tie rods, ball joints etc) and have all new brakes. There is a list too long to list of small items and things I upgraded.

69 Cougar front side.jpg

And thanks again for the welcome, I look forward to seeing all of the wagons that you guys have.

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice cars! Man...I can just see that cool wag sittin' there. It's going to be a beauty!

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. What a great pair of rides!

12. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Thanx for the pics(of both):tiphat:. A white woody that is a Merc to boot:bowdown:. Are you planning on the same colour when you paint?

Very sharp and clean looking Cougar, those Magnum 500s look perfect on it.:yup:

13. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Now you have to get a Cougar!:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The Cougars are in BC and Alberta. We just have puddy tats.:biglaugh:

15. 64 Comet

64 Comet New Member

Thanks guys.:)
    I appreciate all the wagons I've seen on here. Love your Fairmont woody, Stormin Norman and am intrigued with the way and effort that you painted it.
    I do plan to put the original color Fat Tedy. My VIN translates the color as Wimbleton White. I'll also refurbish the wood grain insert. The interior is beige and in pretty good condition. The dash is excellent with no cracks, the headliner is also good. I will put new carpet in and have the seats re-appolstered.
    I had sent my VIN information to Ford of Canada in Oakville, Ontario and I just got a letter back from them today. The most intereting points were that there were only 1980 built and my wagon was built in the week of Feb 17th-Feb 22nd, 1964. :cheers: