1964 Comet 404 V8, C4 wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by blacksnake, Aug 13, 2010.

1. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Friday Update

Well there is no real update for work done on this Friday. I actually drove my sons Fairlane to the shop, because he is in boot camp and I need to drive the car at least once a week. We are going to a car show on Sunday and a friend of mine is going to drive the Fairlane so I thought I would detail her instead of work on the Comet.
    The shop owner is an awesome detailer/buffer, so I asked him if he would buff the paint for me, he said. "Uh I have plenty to do, you can do it'!. So after a few instructions I was off for my first experience with a buffer. I was pretty paranoid that I may burn the paint, but it turned out pretty good. I also did some touch up stuff to the car, I sandblasted the wiper blade arms and painted them, I sanded and painted the rear drums, touched up the V8 emblem and cleaned the inside.....................it took me about 6 hours!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope everyone has a good weekend, Oak

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, when do you start? Fulltime or Parttime?:biglaugh::evilsmile:

3. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice lil Fairlane there BS !!!

seems good taste in cars runs in the family:tiphat:

4. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Special delivery

Well the new crate motor came to my house today! Yippee, now I have to take it to the shop tomorrow before work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't been able to work on the car as the shop was closed for the Holidays on Friday. Now I have a work month of hell coming up. A seven day work week next week, then off to a 2 week training class out of town then a huge project at work when I get back, so it may be a while before I update again.

Oh well take the good with the bad I guess?

[​IMG][​IMG]

See Yah, Oak

5. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

someone got an early x-mas gift! HoHoHo! Blacksnake I ended up selling my 6 cylinder PS setup to someone who needed it for their '65 6 cylinder ranchero

6. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Blacksnake, that is going to be one sweet Comet. You certainly are doing everything the right way. I love watching a wagon come back and have a 2nd life. Can't wait to see the finished product.

7. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

X 2! Looking good and things seem to be coming together quickly! :thumbs2: Keep the photos comin'!

8. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Quick Update

Well I went to the shop today and the only real work I could do on the Comet was to assemble the heater box, but I couldnt get a heater core today so i just helped the guys with some of the other projects.

We installed several parts of the dash on the 63 Falcon Wagon and messed around with a 1969 Mustang with an AC problem........................then.........

We talked Bruce (shop owner) into rolling out (been under a cover in corner of shop forever) his 1956 Wagon (Parklane). He has has the wagon for ten years. He bought it for 3k ten years ago, rolled it off of the tow truck and hasnt even looked at it until today. It has a 312 (Thunderbird emblems all over thing) with a 3 speed and overdrive. Supposedly the motor was rebuilt 3k miles before he bought it. IT does look very clean. So........we drained the fluids and replaced them all. checked the plugs (re-gapped and cleaned) check and cleaned the points and gave it a whirl. She started!!!!! But then the carb let loose with ALOT of gas. We took off the carb and put on a modern Holley 600. She started right up and purred like a kitten, very little smoke which eventually cleared up.

We lifted her up on the lift and engaged the trans, it was all good. So now we will work on this wagon until the Comet gets out of paint.

Sorry no pics but I dropped my trusted ELPH camera and it is toast. I will def post pics as soon as possible.

Have a great weekend , Oak

9. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

In Paint

Well the wagon is officially in the booth, the top is painted, tomorrow the painter is going to try to figure out my stupid paint scheme since I left all of the chrome trim on the sides, I have a few surprises up my sleeves.

Well I go out of state for a week and when i come back Kathy should be painted?

Maybe i will take a pic of the Corinthian White top tomorrow since thats all that is painted so far?

Hopefully next post will be a painted wagon?

See you all in a week!

Oak

10. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

I couldnt wait

Well I drove by the painters today at the end of the day to see what he had done because I wouldnt see Kathy for 7 days!

Well I practically knocked in the door to the booth just as he was laying the SMOKE GREY/ ANNIVERSARY SILVER

He had already painted my goofy paint scheme as well. Like I said before my camera is broke but I did the best i could, it is hard to see the color in these pics, also for reference I put a picture of the car as it left for the painter, the white stripes (Cove within a cove) are now red, (The interior is red as well) the bigger cove that runs the length of the car is corinthian white as is the top, I will get better pics when I come back from VACA, after the clear is on !! :)
    Just for info the factory colors are Anniversary silver with red inside, I simply added the red stripe and the white top!!!!!!!
    Oak

[​IMG]
    New Stripe, takin a chance?
    [​IMG]
    HArd to see this color in the photo but it is Smoke Grey
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is the white in the longer cove
    [​IMG]

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Its gonna look like it's in motion! Sharp!

12. MEANVN

MEANVN New Member

Top work on the wagon, love the progress

13. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Painted and back at teh shop

Well Kathy is back from Paint and ready to recieve her transplant, here are some pics of both the interior and the exterior.........Enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remember the holes in the roof..............all better now
    [​IMG]
    Fresh off the tow truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am taking these wheels off and having them painted flat read to match the interior,
    [​IMG]
    These wheels are temporary just to roll around on but they look kind of cool?
    [​IMG]
    Well next is the extraction of the mustang motor and set it into the engine bay and then save some more money lol,
    Oak

14. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Yes that is a 1956 Ranch Wagon in the back ground, LOL

15. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like your wagon was built with the shoulder belt mounts on the top of the B-pillars too. I didn't know they had them that early, but then the 64-1/2 Mustangs had them. (y)

Lookin' good. :thumbs2: