1961 Lincoln Continetal

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by markfnc, Apr 25, 2023.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    What a gorgeous car. These have really gotten spendy in the last few years, what hasn’t right? I wouldn’t be surprised to see this car in the 50k neighborhood before it ends. Lovely

3. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Maybe just me, but the top looks like it could use some adjustment. There's a considerable gap between the tops of the side windows and the bottom edge of the top, especially for the rear windows. Makes the car look like there's an excess of air pressure on the inside causing the top to bulge outward.

Here's a '61 Lincoln convertible with the top looking more like it should look. Flatter and in line with the top of the windshield.

1416615_1.jpg

4. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Agreed. It looks pinched at the front windshield post like it’s pushed too far forward causing it to bow along the sides a bit. They said the top was serviced in January of ‘23. Unlike 97.3% of late ‘70’s and ‘80’s Country Squires and Colony Park’s and 82.1% of all wood wagons in general that have a “family truckster “ reference in the selling comments. This car gets kudos from me for not having a “be a part of the JFK” nostalgia craze that can be part of the “sizzle” of any pre 1970 Lincoln sale. Don’t see that as much anymore as I think probably half the people out there don’t know who JFK is, lol. Seriously so many of these non reality references can get nauseating.

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

some of the comments on BAT have to do with the top. it was "repaired" to be operational.

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

It's definitely a lovely car. I agree that the top looks a bit awkward, but likely just needs to be adjusted. And if I'm being honest, I'm probably never going to drive this car with the top up anyway.
    And I agree with you on the "JFK" references Bill. I never quite understood why so many sellers would include something like that in their advertisements. It would be akin to sellers of mid 60's Buick Electra's saying you could be a part of the Jayne Mansfield nostalgia. Truly bizarre.

60Mercman likes this.
  7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Or a white Aerobrick Bronco gets you entrance into the O.J. Murder Posse.

60Mercman and cammerjeff like this.
  8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

HAHAHA yes! That's true Andrew!
    Infamous.

Silvertwinkiehobo likes this.
  9. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Well $55k and sold. Not too far off. I have been following these for a while and I have to say with the complicated relays and logistics in restoring one of these in general. Think it was pretty well bought especially if it’s going to California or a state where it is almost cost prohibitive to restore a car. You could easily spend a 100k to put a junker into this shape.

OrthmannJ and markfnc like this.