1960 Studebaker Wagon

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by mlhayes, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mlhayes

mlhayes New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi,

I have a 1960 Studebaker Lark wagon that I bought in 1994. I've done a lot of work to it, but as it goes, it's a project that's gone stagnant. Finished up a '57 F-100 2 years ago, and most recently, a '77 Nova for my son. So my new year's resolution is to get my wagon back on the road this summer. Maybe this forum will help get me re-motivated! I look forward to getting acquainted with everyone!

Mike

Attached Files:

2. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Mike, nice stude project!

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madness Mike! Looks like a solid body on that Stude, a good starting point :Welcome:. Thanks for sharing the pics. (y)

4. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Welcome. What are your plans for your wagon? Restoration? Resto mod? Mild custom?

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:Mike. Looks like a solid project that can end up a great and unusual wagon. Git-er-done Mike! I know all about those back burner projects. Do it now before the pilot light goes out.:clap:

6. mlhayes

mlhayes New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! I bought the Stude from the grandson of the original owner. It spent its life in Carpenteria, California until they moved it here in 1993. I traded a '75 F-250 Camper Special straight across for it.

Yes, it is a very solid car. No rust in the floorpan at all. I pulled the front clip off and installed new patch panels in the front fender doglegs, where Studebakers are prone to rust. There were a couple little creases I took out where it looks like Grandpa got it up against the garage door. I have a little rust repair to deal with along the roof drip rail, then it will be ready for paint.

It is very original, 259 V8 with a 2 barrel carb, automatic transmission, power steering, AM radio, heater, and that's about it for options. It has 62k original miles on it.

I have bought a lot of parts for it over the years, stashed up overhead in the garage: new tailgate frame/glass (original has bad rust), grille, turn signal housings, headlight rings, door handles....

I have rebuilt the power assist system for the steering. The brakes are original and getting scary! I have everything to rebuild them, but am going to adapt it over to a dual cylinder setup for safety.

Jim 68Cuda, you asked what I was going to do in terms of style... I tend to like to leave things original and that's probably what I will do with this, with some minor modifications like updating the brakes that does not detract from how it looks. I put on a dual exhaust system already with some Smithy's glass pacs (love that sound!). Maybe some different hubcaps. Kind of unsettled on the paint color. It's originally Oasis Green, I'm not much on green... so it may end up another color. It has a pretty good original black and white interior so I guess I can paint it whatever I want.

So that's the story of my car. I used it as a daily driver for 2 years until the tranny started leaking bad and I took it apart then and started body work. I really miss being able to drive it, and I look forward to getting it on the road again, hopefully by this summer!

Mike

7. mlhayes

mlhayes New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! I bought the Stude from the grandson of the original owner. It spent its life in Carpenteria, California until they moved it here in 1993. I traded a '75 F-250 Camper Special straight across for it.

Yes, it is a very solid car. No rust in the floorpan at all. I pulled the front clip off and installed new patch panels in the front fender doglegs, where Studebakers are prone to rust. There were a couple little creases I took out where it looks like Grandpa got it up against the garage door. I have a little rust repair to deal with along the roof drip rail, then it will be ready for paint.

It is very original, 259 V8 with a 2 barrel carb, automatic transmission, power steering, AM radio, heater, and that's about it for options. It has 62k original miles on it.

I have bought a lot of parts for it over the years, stashed up overhead in the garage: new tailgate frame/glass (original has bad rust), grille, turn signal housings, headlight rings, door handles....

I have rebuilt the power assist system for the steering. The brakes are original and getting scary! I have everything to rebuild them, but am going to adapt it over to a dual cylinder setup for safety.

Jim 68Cuda, you asked what I was going to do in terms of style... I tend to like to leave things original and that's probably what I will do with this, with some minor modifications like updating the brakes that does not detract from how it looks. I put on a dual exhaust system already with some Smithy's glass pacs (love that sound!). Maybe some different hubcaps. Kind of unsettled on the paint color. It's originally Oasis Green, I'm not much on green... so it may end up another color. It has a pretty good original black and white interior so I guess I can paint it whatever I want.

So that's the story of my car. I used it as a daily driver for 2 years until the tranny started leaking bad and I took it apart then and started body work. I really miss being able to drive it, and I look forward to getting it on the road again, hopefully by this summer!

Mike

8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Come on Mike you can do this...just how bad do you miss driving this sweet little wagon?

[​IMG]

At least you have driven yours...I've only steered mine...:oops:

Baby steps, you can be driving it again before you know it!

9. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    I still think that the Larks were the best lookin of the Rumblers(y)

:Welcome: and great project(y)

10. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard!
    That's a great little Stude...
    I think Studebaker built a lot of great looking cars in those years...and yours is one of them!

11. StudeDave57

StudeDave57 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like you've got a good starting point!!! Good luck. If you're ever in need of some help finding parts- drop me a line.
    If I can't get it, I know folks who can!!! You might also wanna join the Studebaker Driver's Club~
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

Their Forum is here~
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/

I hope you don't mean 'Ramblers' 'cuz Studes were Studes.
    Ramblers were made by a completely different company.

12. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Mike! Nice nice Study wagon. What a great project car, can't wait to see what you do with it. Keep us all posted, this is a great bunch of wagon nuts and a great place to get motivated. :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

13. mlhayes

mlhayes New Member

Wagon Garage:
    StudeDave57, thanks! Actually, I've belonged to SDC since 1994. And I'm a member of our Zia Chapter here in NM, I just need to get back into it. I have boxes and boxes and boxes of Turning Wheels!

What little body work I have left I could easily get done in a weekend. Like I said I have to go through the brakes. I bought everything including hoses and hardware from Stephen Allen's years ago, all boxed up in the garage. And now that I'm looking at Studes again, I see Allen's has closed up shop. :( They were always so good to deal with!

Everyone thinks a Studebaker is difficult to work on because they are old, have been out of business for such a long time.... but they really are not. There are so many NOS parts out there for them, and a huge support group through their club, that you can find nearly anything to get yours on the road again.

The big project is to pull the engine/trans out for a seal job. Everything that can leak, does! I have everything to do that job too. So I've hoarded lots of parts, I just need to get going! My short-term goal is to get the rest of the mechanical done, the little bit of body work completed, shoot it all in primer and put the bumpers and lights back in it so I can drive it this summer. If that all goes well, it'll get painted after that. I just want to drive it again!

Thanks to all of you for your hospitality and warm welcomes. I love Novas and Oldsmobiles and '57-'60 Ford trucks and belong to forums for all of these cars, and I have yet to find anyone rude! :You_Rock_Emoticon:
    Mike

14. Dogfather

Dogfather Retired Medic

Wagon Garage:
    Mike that is so Awesome can't wait to see the finished Product :Welcome:

15. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    One of my favourite brands. I had a 1955 President coupe and swapped even for new 1978 Lincoln. The guy stopped on the street, where he'd just bought the Lincoln! Not kidding! I saw it here a couple years ago with a new paint job. Like new!

Heck, I've got some old Turning Wheels issues too and an original 1965 Avanti brochure. Great cars! :Welcome: