1960 Parkwood progress

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by 1960parkwoodproject, Mar 11, 2018.

1. 1960parkwoodproject

1960parkwoodproject New Member

Hi All—introduced myself in the newcomers “introductions” thread, and have made progress since I first posted.
    Got new standard tires and rims installed (so it is riding up where it did originally, and is a much smoother ride), got coils and shocks done, and now have my Wagon with a local car shop to have an engine and transmission upgrade. Eventually going to upgrade to power steering and brakes for the safety factor, so I can one day tow my 1961 Shasta Compact vintage travel trailer with it. May try to add after market air con as well. This will be a longer project than I thought, and cost more $$, so my future upholstery and professional Vintage paint job will be much further down the list. But excited to get it more drivable and safe!

Attached Files:

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    How are you going to upgrade the drivetrain? I hope you make it count

3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Sounds like you're making some good progress.
    Sounds like a great rig to pull your trailer with. Is the trailer restored?

4. 1960parkwoodproject

Yes, I have been slowly restoring it as well. I had a vintage trailer restorer who converted the closet to a flush toilet. Able to use the trailer while restoring it—so trips to places like Big Sur make it worth while. 17936705-41BB-4345-9ABF-77D933BA193D.jpeg

OrthmannJ likes this.
  5. 1960parkwoodproject

I am replacing the engine and transmission, adding power steering and power brakes, just for ease of driving...Eventually I will paint and reupholster, but that is going to be way down the road. It is getting the engine and transmission right now—so exciting; I had to tow it in, but I will be driving it out! F7B7BE06-9031-4942-AD6C-BCEC59BA1AC1.jpeg

OrthmannJ likes this.
  6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Engine isn't just engine. There is a variety to choose from. If the original engine was running and you drove it around, to evaluate the ride, after the wheels and suspension parts were changed, why then do you find it necessary to replace the drivetrain, if it isn't planned to be an entirely different one? Or will it be? If you didn't plan not to alter the drivetrain, wouldn't it make sense to get the original engine inspected, to see if there's no reason for replacing it or if it would be feasable to repair the engine that's in there already? If it's not leaking, consuming an excessive amount of oil or running rough, there shouldn't be any reason to condemn it. An inspection would only amount to judging if the spark plugs have reached their service life, as well as the ignition points and timing chain. A simple dwell meter and timing light would suffice. If you aren't doing the inspection yourself, I'd be wary of mechanics who specialize in making money from unnecessary repair work. A busy shop has no need to earn money in a dishonest manner.
    A high performance drivetrain will also make driving easier, since easier drivability is what you're hinting at

7. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

Holy cow poison, she changed the engine to upgrade it. What else does she need to say?

It sounds like your going to have a great dependable travelling set up when your done. I've been looking for a vintage trailer myself but for what everyone is asking for them I may build my own. Im thinking large teardrop.

8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Is that a Shasta?
    That's going to be a great combo!
    Pretty exciting about the powertrain upgrade. What are you putting in there?
    Thanks for the updates and keep us posted.