'65 falcon 2 dr wagon resto

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by 65falconwagon, Aug 30, 2009.

1. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

hey Rev you are supposedly the man who has the falcon parts right? Do you happen to have a gas cap for the '65 falcon wagon...I have the standard 59A model...am looking for the one that matches the lines of the body....believe it is the standard ranchero one as well....Can you hook me up and how much?

2. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

well today I ended up taking out the side windows on the wagon....they are the sun-x type which are extremely rare and had to be extra careful!....not liking to tackle the roof situation but I feel if I cut off the roof skin I can at least leave the ribs in place when I get a replacement roof.....man that roof is in sad shape and has got bondo all over the place...they even screwed it down into the ribs underneath....normally I wouldn't tackle a project this severe but this car is extremely rare and preservation is the name of the game!

Attached Files:

3. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    and We luv ya a bit more for it:thumbs2:

4. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

today I wrapped up cutting the last of the roof skin off of the wagon...ended up with two good sheets of metal to reuse....only took me about an hr and I spent a grand total of $8 for 4 grinding discs that I went through....again no structural issues even though the inner structure is all rotted out! Now of course the hard part is coming up with mounting the new roof but I think I am going to leave that one to the pros

5. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's what I have on mine too SUN-X glass. You can still get them in Mexico.

6. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Hey 65 sorry I missed this thread. Looks like you dove right in and are making progress fairly quickly. Great Job! It feels good to see another FORD getting roadworthy again. Keep the photos coming. It looks like we suffer from the same affliction... :camera:Camera-itis! :rofl2:

:cheers:

7. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

yeah camera hand is hard to overcome

8. 80cutlass

80cutlass New Member Charter Member

ya know bubba stormins got a good point and dont forget you can get cutoff wheels for an angle grinder also and they work great for makin nice clean cuts,,,,,an air chisel umm might be a little barbaric on this particular little operation :pub:

9. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

hey 80cutlass,

I actually finished taking off the roof skin and it only cost me $8 in grinder discs (used my dewalt)....so right now I have the inner structure along with the three ribs that run across the middle....I again plan on saving the ribs and cutting down about half way on the pillars to remove the old roof....the key to everything is MEASURING RIGHT! The challenge I am having is finding a roof replacement closer to Florida....I have possibilities out in CA but the freight cost is going to be NUTS....probably going to be about a grand ($300 for the roof and $500-$800 for the shipping to get back home).....good news is is that the '61-'65 falcon/comet wagon rooves are compatible so it gives me options....even though it is a 2 dr I can still use a 4 dr I would just have to remove the spot welds in the extra post on the 4 dr roof.....so if anyone knows of any wagon parts cars please let me know as long as they are somewhat close to Florida

10. 80cutlass

you are right measure once cut three times,,,oppss measure ten times and cut once,,,but seroiusly though you mentioned grinding discs but i wasn,t sure if you have used or seen the cut off wheels for the four and a half and five inch grinders,, i love em,,,and yea on shipping charges can get stupid expensive,,,,,a number of years ago i got a wild hair and decided to shave the rear door handles off of my 80 cutlass wagon,,,,got one done and did,nt like it,,,,i could not find a door any where local and instead of getting a four door door and changing the window frame i got a door out of montana and i,m south of seattle ,,,150.00 for the door and 150.00 for shipping and that was before the fuel prices went stupid,,,i call that my 300.00 dive into the box of stoopid,, so i can just imagine shipping cost of a roof section,,,but are you gonna just skin the roof or actually cut off the roof and replace the it from the posts up,,,and are you gonna mig the posts or use the oxy acytylene torch and weld them up

11. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

Sorry for not being specific enough....I did use my dewalt 4.5" grinding discs for the job....yeah I plan on cutting at the posts about half way down....thinking about having the bodyshop do the job since I have never attempted a roof replacement and my welding skills are very amateur....I figured cutting off the roof skin saves on the labor cost plus it made it easier to take off myself...again the whole inner structure is rotted out and it would be easier to just cut it off at the posts all intact in one piece..as far as the roof itself if I have to venture out west I might just have to bite the bullet....people just don't seem to understand how hard it is to find parts especially a good enough roof to do a replacement...my prediction is that the wagons will be very valuable in the future as most of the sedans,etc get restored and used up

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  12. 80cutlass

yea that makes sense to cut off at the post if there is that much corrosion in the roof structure and all and yea i reckon its best to take it somewhere if in doubt on the welding ability but you know plenty of patience and motivativation can overcome an inabilty in a certain area (welding ) for example but you know to brace the body before you cut off the roof seeins how that is a unibody car ,,and especially so if your gonna move it around and i,ve done similar work before and one key thing is if you got someone in mind,, make and communicate with em on what they want for you to do and not to do,,,,,,as a buddy of mine did all the grunt work if you will,, and i did the rest and we were both clear on what i wanted done and not done to make the operation go easier for both of us :dance:

13. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

Yes definetly bracing the body is very important....I haven't cut off the actual roof yet (inner structure) so it is still strong even with all the rot inside...plus the three ribs are still in place so structurally it is still sound.....I believe in when choosing a bodyshop to see evidence of their work first as in pictures or current projects....word of mouth and being honest up front goes a long way when doing a job like this.....the bodyman that I am using right now has been in car craft several times and does stellar work....he however is very meticulous and slow....but then again it has to be done right the first time

14. 80cutlass

most definently and dont get me wrong obviously to tackle a project of this magnatude you got some purty big kahonies and have a clue of what you are doing ,,,i,ve seen people who have had minimal experience in certain areas but had a million miles of motivation which makes a big difference in the areas of inexperiance,,,my neighbor who is a mechanic did,nt really know much about bodywork but did a stellar job on his chevelle ,,he had somebody paint it but did all the hard stuff and he had it painted black and the painter did,nt have to really do much or fix any boo boos before he shot it,,,,,,but nice work though bubba i,m totally stoked to see it done (y)

15. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

Oh I have some big kahunas alright.....I also think being opened minded and not being afraid also helps when you are dealing with this.....a good example of this project was when I was afraid to cut off the roof skin.....thought it would implode but never happened....got experience and saved myself about 2 hrs of labor