Hi from South Africa

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Safariguy, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Safariguy

Safariguy Member

I recently bought a 72 Chevy kingswood in good shape, no rust! Some small things need attention and I’m thinking this will be a good place to hook up for these things!

fannie likes this.
  2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum, Safariguy! We're glad to have you. When you can, post pictures of your wagon, we all LOVE pictures!

60Mercman likes this.
  3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard the wagon train. Sounds like you have a neat car there. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of it.

60Mercman likes this.
  4. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, @Safariguy! As mentioned, if you ever get a chance we'd love to see some pics of your Kingswood if you'd like to share any. :) I was just thinking though, being that your name is Safariguy, you may need to get a Pontiac Safari or Grand Safari at some point too! ;):D

60Mercman likes this.
  5. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the wagon train, Safariguy!

6. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard from Nova Scotia, Canada.
    There is a saying around here..."if we can't see it then it didn't happen".
    ;)

7. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the Forum. There was recently a Kingswood Estate, ‘72 that can’t be the one you bought. Your isn’t a rust bucket. But, as stated, we love baby pictures. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

8. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Welcome Safariguy....

Guys, I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but I am wondering if Safari's Kingswood is totally different than the Kingswood's we're used to? I think GM made a Kingswood in AUS that looked Cadillac-ish, a semi-luxury car.

Oh yeah, those pictures would be cool. Those alternate-universe American-type cars are pretty darn neat.

fannie likes this.
  9. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Yes, there was a Holden Kingswood wagon in Australia. In fact the Holden Kingswood line also included sedans and Utes.
    [​IMG]

In South Africa, the Holden was badged and slightly restyled to be sold as a Chevrolet. But the Kingswood name wasn't used. Interestingly, the the Australian Holden Ute was sold as a Chevrolet El Camino in South Africa.
    [​IMG]

The South African Chevrolet line included a full line of models based on the Aussie Holden, like the Chevrolet SS which is a Holden Monaro with a more American looking grille (Monaro on left SS on right) and the Chevrolet Constantia wagon and the Chevrolet Commando wagon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and like the Opala in Brazil, South Africa had the Chevrolet Ranger series based on the German Opel Rekord (including this Ranger SS coupe and Ranger wagon).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But it doesn't look like the Kingswood name was ever applied to South African Chevrolets. So the question to be asking Safariguy is, if his 72 Chevy Kingswood was sold new in South Africa, and if it's equipped with right hand drive. If equipped with right hand drive, was it built that way, or was it converted locally.
    [​IMG]

fannie and 60Mercman like this.
  10. Safariguy

Safariguy Member

Hi, and thanks for the extensive history for za and Australian models. I grew up in a time when these cars were the normal family wagon and there was the valiant safari amc wagon aswell. My current wagon is an us import from 1972 . It’s seen better days and I’ve now got some issues to deal with before I can enjoy just taking a drive to the beach with my

brakes and electrical stuff mostly and the some interior upgrades for the moment.

upload_2022-9-1_11-40-0.jpeg upload_2022-9-1_11-40-0.jpeg upload_2022-9-1_11-40-0.jpeg upload_2022-9-1_11-40-0.jpeg upload_2022-9-1_11-40-0.jpeg

fannie and Jim 68cuda like this.
  11. Safariguy

Safariguy Member

By the way can anyone assist me to get the correct length wiper blades…

12. Safariguy

Safariguy Member

Yeah I’m a Pontiac guy and have always wanted a 65-66 safari but non here at the tip of Africa so the closest thing was the 72 kingswood !

WagonTheDog and 60Mercman like this.
  13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Man, that's a beautiful car! I'm excited for you.

14. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

It's hard to find any 60's wagon in nice shape. The search is much harder when you have a specific make model and year in mind. This one showed up on Facebook Marketplace yesterday. Expensive but looks like a nice one. Seller is in Michigan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1965 Pontiac Catalina Safari · Wagon · Driven 110,000 miles 1965 Pontiac Catalina Safari wagon original 4spd Muncie 4spd. M21 , 3row seating. Tilt wheel , 8 lug wheels ps pb. 389 4bl. Runs an drives great nice driver 3.42 rear end gears, dual exhaust , new tires, shock, air on back NOS tailights and some chrome, new radiator , heater core belts hoses, edelbrock carburator and intake , car has original drivetrain , power tailgate window, all guages and lights work , Grand Prix grills , have originals too, 2yr old paint Blue Charchoal. $25,000. Seller's name on Facebook Marketplace is Rob Gardiner. I know nothing about the seller or his car.

OrthmannJ likes this.