Stolen classic cars in UK used in demo derby

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Jim 68cuda, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Seen on another forum:

https://news.yahoo.com/stolen-class...junKWwrT8f4r-CqpQNizG3Y19VqYht7I&guccounter=2

Brian Silvestro
    Mon, August 8, 2022 at 4:48 PM·2 min read

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: 555 banger videos / Neil Armstrong
    A pair of classic American cars were stolen within just 20 miles of each other in the United Kingdom in late June only to seemingly reappear—gutted and repainted—at a junkyard racer circle track on Sunday. The cars were used in an oval competition and subsequently destroyed before internet sleuths put the pieces together, leading authorities to seize the remains, the race track's director said on Facebook.

The cars, a 1985 Ford LTD County Squire and a 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix, were reported stolen on June 14 and June 16, respectively, according to posts on Facebook discovered by the Manfacility Metal Works Twitter account on Sunday. The account also shared a picture of two extremely similar cars—albeit repainted blue and stripped down to their bear essentials—on flatbeds prior to entering a banger race (a popular junk-car oval-type event in Europe) at Ringwood Raceway on August 7. A bit too on the nose to be a coincidence.

Video from the event shows the cars getting crumpled to the point of no return:

Neither owner was immediately available for comment when reached by Road & Track.

Craig Robinson, Ringwood's track director, said both owners have been paid out by their respective insurance companies, according to a post on Facebook. The wrecked cars were reportedly seized by police on Monday. It's unclear if any charges have been filed at this time.

The track has since implemented a new policy requiring all competitors to provide proof of ownership before being able to race, presumably so something like this won't happen again. That being said, it doesn't really matter. The August 7 event in question was the facility's last-ever event, with plans to turn the grounds into a retirement village, according to Yahoo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andover car theft: Mark Wright appeals for help to trace stolen vehicle
    18th June

[​IMG]
    By Catriona Aitken
    @catrionaa15Reporter
    0 Comments
    [​IMG]
    The stolen car. Inset: Mark Wright

AN ANDOVER man is appealing to residents to keep their eyes out for his classic car which has been stolen from a residential area.

Mark Wright’s 1985 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon was parked in a permit-holders car park near his home on Floral Way on Monday evening and by Tuesday morning (June 14) it was gone.

“The evening before, when my partner and I went for a walk about 9pm, it was there. But when I came out to go to work on Tuesday morning, I suddenly noticed it was gone.

“It's a pretty unique vehicle with its wood look sides and being four meters in length it could be hard to hide!”

The 65-year-old, who works as a premises assistant for Test Valley Borough Council, explained that he doesn’t believe the car to be of much monetary value, but that it meant a lot to him.

SEE ALSO: Woman distraught after handcrafted bench gifted to her by prisoner of war goes missing overnight

He got it from California at the end of last year, and it is the vehicle featured in the National Lampoon films.

“I have always had an interest in American cars, from a styling point of view. There’s a bit of history to it too - these days, if you take the badge off a car you wouldn’t know what it is!

“It was just a case of something to mess around with and got a few car shows. And it raises a smile from people when we drive past. It really has no meaning to anybody else, it’s of no great value.”

Mark added: “I am not really someone who shows my anger much but, emotionally, it's frustrating. If the police rang me up and said they had found the car but it was nothing more than a burnt out shell, I’d be sad but I could draw a line under it. But it's the illogic of it that annoys me - it relies on somebody, by chance, spotting it because it’s so unusual.”

He continued: “I have never had a car stolen before, and when I posted it to social media, I was surprised by just how many cars get taken in the area!”

Mark is asking people to keep an eye for the car, and also beware if offered a 302 (5ltr) engine and transmission, as these could be parts of the stolen vehicle.

A Hampshire Constabulary spokesperson said: "We were called at 6.58am on 14 June to a report of a theft of a vehicle in Andover. Sometime between 9pm on Monday, 13 June and 6.30pm on Tuesday, 14 June, a grey Ford Ltd Crown Victoria Squire station wagon, with wood look panels, was stolen from Floral Way in Andover.

"Anyone who witnessed anything suspicious or has any information should call us on 101 quoting reference 44220235159."

And the following was posted to Facebook by a track official:

Ok an update:-
    Both vehicle owners today confirmed that there is no issue with us at the raceway.
    Both owners have been paid out by insurance one we knew yesterday day (but we’re unable at that stage to comment).
    Both vehicles now belong to the insurance companies.
    One was already owned by the insurance company prior to the meeting and the other insurance paid out this morning.
    Moving forward and an explanation:- we were told yesterday not to approach the vehicles by the police! As they were on route which we knew to seize the vehicles and one owner calling me at 2.49pm telling me they were on route also.
    We instructed security to meet at bottom turnstiles and we were awaiting police to arrive to then come into the area to seize the vehicles.
    EVERYONE quick enough to ask why we didn’t stop them racing currently there is an investigation into the drivers that brought them in to the raceway thus we cannot comment on. And we had to await police to arrive. That’s why we did not action sooner!
    But everyone slating us (when your told not to intercept the issue until police presence which we did not interfere as requested), only getting involved when asked.
    There is procedures to be implemented prior to action and we followed those to the tea!
    So for everyone who has slated us and slandered us for our approach & for the cowardly person who thought it was appropriate to spit in my Mrs face over a police & insurance matter I truly hope she doesent meet you! A true vile human!
    I applaud you all for jumping the gun and making what should of been a memorable occasion into something so bad.
    For the sport going forward….. all of the keyboard wizards get off you phones and social media bullying and enjoy our sport for the right reasons and stop jumping on hear say and ruining our sporting community! Get off the keyboards!!! Enjoy the meetings that we as promoters put on and the drivers spend to show you entertainment you are ruining oval racing!!! Stop with the slating this sport is in need of support!!!! Not people trying to ruin it!
    Find facts before commenting!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yeah, a sad and sordid state of affairs. Makes you wish you'd caught the bahstidges in the act, put the beatdown on them. I'm willing to bet those two flatbeds were what got the cars removed. I mean, who questions when a vehicle gets removed by a tow truck? Hiding in plain sight got the dastardly deed done?

CustomCruiser90 likes this.
  3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Man. That's enough to make you sick to your stomach.

CustomCruiser90 likes this.
  4. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. What an abhorrent disregard for people's property and for automotive history. Especially in the UK where big old American iron is rare. This just underlines my personal disdain for too many derby guys who just have zero regard for preserving automotive history at all. Many of them just don't care. What a sickening sight.

5. Timmayy

Timmayy Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Unreal. That is just sad.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  6. CustomCruiser90

CustomCruiser90 Well-Known Member

I saw that on some other site, it's sickening to think the demolition derby mindset exists outside of the US. Regardless of how well the victims were compensated for their losses, it would be nice if something more than just a fine or slap on the wrists happened to the thieves.

7. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Possibly the same kind of treatment in the "wrong cell block"? :evilsmile:

8. CustomCruiser90

CustomCruiser90 Well-Known Member

That might just do the trick! I like the way you think. :)

Steve-E-D likes this.
  9. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

A small block with a big Bubba. :rolleyes:

Steve-E-D likes this.
  10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

From "V for Vendetta:" "If, by morningtime, you're not the sorriest piece of @$$ in London, you'll certainly be the sorest."

Steve-E-D likes this.