Is Stripeman woodgrain vinyl too glossy for an 80s GM wagon?

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by Spartan, May 27, 2022.

1. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

I just got a sample kit from Stripeman, and comparing it with the existing woodgrain on my 1983 Chevy Caprice Estate, while the color is very close, it's a bit too glossy compared to the original. I realize this is a 40-year old car and therefore has probably dulled over that time, but I held it up to the parts that are in the best shape (include the bits on the inside of the door), and it's just a bit too reflective. I also think back to what the woodgrain looked liked on the wagon my family had as a kid (we had the exact same Caprice) and I don't remember it being super-shiny, but rather a little more satiny.

Has anyone used this and if so, how did the gloss look when finally installed? I am also trying to get a sample from woodgrain4wagons to see how it compares.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Someone on here had GM NOS Di-Noc; do a search to find the thread, and find the member who installed it, ask them if that Di-Noc was high-gloss.

3. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.

I did stumble across this in the factory repair manual, confirming my suspicion that it is actually a semi-gloss:
    [​IMG]