1958 Brookwood 4x4

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by MT58, May 9, 2022.

1. MT58

MT58 Member

Hello from Montana! I just recently bought this project. I'm a car enthusiast, owned a few classics, but I am not a trained professional. I have to read and watch videos to learn, but I've found I can do most things if given enough time. I'm excited to have a project, and have a resource like this forum, I've been reading for days and theres a ton of collective knowledge here that will be very useful to a guy like me.

Enough about me, let's get to what I'm working with, I know its not everyones cup of tea, but love it or hate it, it will be something you don't see every day. (Disclaimer....I bought it this way, but was told by the PO that the original frame/floor was toast.)
    The '58 body sits on a 1995 GMC Yukon 4x4 frame, both have a 117.5" wheelbase. side.jpg
    Part of the floorpan from the donor Yukon was partly grafted in.
    tahoepan.jpg
    The engine is a 454 out of an '85 motorhome. It's got a Summit cam and Edelbrock intake, I don't know if it's been run since the rebuild.
    enginebay.jpg
    Transmission is a 4L80E with an uninstalled TCI stand alone electronic shift system.
    drive.jpg
    The interior is out of the Yukon, it has been redone, but will need more modification to fit and mount up correctly.
    drivers.jpg
    All doors/tailgates open and close correctly, a couple of the doors need flat glass replaced
    tailgate.jpg

Thats the quick version. I've got lots of parts that came with it, some will work, some wont. The first order of business is to have a local shop look at those floor pans to see if they work, then have them fabricate some body mounts. I've got kids so safety is a priority (looking cool is a close second.) I don't have those skills, so outsourcing is the only option for me. I don't have a big budget ( see what I said about having kids), and that will probably eat up most of it.
    I would love to hear thoughts about what you would do with what I've got, keep in mind that I live on a hill and we get lots of snow, so I actually do need that 4x4.

Thanks for reading this far, I'm glad to be here.

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard MT58!
    That's definitely a unique wagon for sure! As you said, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but that's alright. I for one am glad to see it's still alive and kickin' and not rotting away somewhere, or worse yet headed for the scrap yard.
    It looks like you have your work cut out for you, but in the end it will be worth it and you will have one unique, custom 4X4 family hauler.

3. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree Jeremiah good to see that MT58 is going to breathe new life into this beauty! And WELCOME MT58! I think you have a nice platform to start with, the stance looks nice and not overbearing. My two cents on a project such as this is that if it's tastefully done and safely done its all good! A favorite saying fits here...I didn't build it for you approval, I built it for mine! Hope you enjoy the forums MT58!.....Longroofs Rule!

OrthmannJ likes this.
  4. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, MT58!
    Love it! I'm looking forward to watching your project come together.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  5. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I absolutely love cars that are "not every ones cup of tea" and i love your car..the lines of ends of the quarter panels looking from the back of the car are incredible...welcome from the pacific northwest!

6. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

What a great wagon. Very creative and how cool is that that it fit right on a Yukon chassis. Can't wait to watch its progress; you've got a great start there and I would think with that 454, it should be able to tow that nice trailer in the back ground. How cool is that going to be!!