What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good to know, thanks. If I replace the rear brakes with Disc Brakes, though, don't I also need to change the Master Cylinder? I was under the impression that's necessary, and that the pressure wouldn't be correct if I kept the original Disc/Drum one.

By "Flex Hose," you mean this part that splits off in two directions and which is screwed in to the top of the differential, like this?

[​IMG]

Whether that's it or not, part at the Rear Diff is a part that I replaced when I had the fuel tank off. I noticed that the car still had what was probably original brake line there, so I replaced everything before it broke and would leak. I will note, however, that I had to use a size reducer on one side of the metal "splitter" section because one side wasn't right.

I also replaced the wheel cylinders with new ones, but I preferred the originals, which felt like they worked better. I still have those originals, just not on the car; the rubber (if they're that?) caps felt like they were ready to come off.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Um, yeah, no. If rubber feels like loose skin, it's gone. The cylinders are rebuildable, but it's both money-and-time cheaper to put new ones on.
    The part you show is what I'm referring to, and if your steel lines were in questionable/bad shape, that is also likely in bad shape. As for the rear brakes, sure, you do change the M/C, but IIRC, the booster is the same, and the M/C has the proportioning valve installed on it, so you'd only have to remove the old valve, then plumb in the new M/C to the line ends.

101Volts likes this.
  3. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

Finished up the front end, thought I would polish on it before I started the rear bushings.

Attached Files:

kevdupuis and 101Volts like this.
  4. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

She's cleaning up quite nicely.

101Volts likes this.
  5. Daves68chevelle

Daves68chevelle Member

Found some LED taillights. Not that expensive and much brighter. Replaced battery tray. Took her in to the body shop again to get her ready for paint. Also welded up a temporary tailgate sash. Not pretty but will work for now.

Attached Files:

OrthmannJ likes this.
  6. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good choice using LED taillights. I had run blue dot taillights on most of my older cars since the 70's. In many states including mine they are technically not legal but they do look cool. Over the years concerns with visibility in the daytime eventually became an issue for me. I have since converted over to red LEDs and would highly recommend them for anyone who enjoys driving their cars. My custom 66 Malibu Wagon project will also be getting LED taillights.

7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I have had an issue with the Fury not going into park. The lever on the push button transmission gets moved up when you want to select a gear. When it gets moved down the transmission goes into neutral, simultaneously pulling a cable that enters a housing on the side of the transmission and PARK is engaged.

IMG_1798.JPG

However that is not what is happening. When I put the lever down, the trans goes into neutral and PARK is not engaged. The lever is supposed to sort of snap down and stay put until you manually move it back up. It is supposed to be under tension. As of right now it just flops down and wiggles around freely.
    So, I decided I needed to do some investigating.

IMG_1800.JPG

Turns out the spring that the lever is attached to, which causes the tension as well as the force to pull the cable, is broken.

IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1803.JPG

So now the search for a spring that doesn't cost a king's ransom is on.

8. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  9. OrthmannJ

There ya go!

10. Daves68chevelle

Daves68chevelle Member

11. Daves68chevelle

Daves68chevelle Member

Your right, Blue Dots are very cool look. I've always liked them. Never knew they were illegal in certain states. Seemed like back in the day everyone sported those. Would like to see some pics of you 66 longroof project.

12. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    66 Longroof project | Station Wagon Forums

13. Tsaints1115

Tsaints1115 Member

After 11 months she's back on her own wheels. None done but at least driveable.

Attached Files:

Daves68chevelle, OldFox and RMay like this.
  14. OrthmannJ

So, after what seemed like many weeks, I finally received a package in the mail the other day. I thought to myself "what in the world could this be? I couldn't possibly be the spring..."

IMG_2475.JPG

I opened the box and found an envelope.

IMG_2476.JPG

I opened the envelope and found. . .
    "Dun-dun-da-daaaaa!'

IMG_2478.JPG

At least it didn't get smooshed during shipping :rolleyes:

IMG_2477.JPG

So, now I get to take things apart and reinstall the spring and then put it all back together again. Looking forward to the park lever working like it's supposed to again.

15. Daves68chevelle

Daves68chevelle Member

Good luck, hopefully it'll fix the problem with your shifter