1985 Caprice Classic $8K Albany

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by ken1939, Jul 18, 2021.

1. ken1939

ken1939 Well-Known Member

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I’d take the ‘87 at half the doe.

3. Edv96buick

Edv96buick Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Oh god yeah...I don’t care how much money he has under the hood...not worth 8k on a cold day in hell...condition isn’t that great and probably the lowest content wagon I’ve seen. Doesn’t even have AC. Can anyone find even 1 option?

4. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

I believe you are right. Looks like not a single factory option - not even a remote control driver's side mirror.

5. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Well come on man. It’s got a sweet looking stereo. Agreed not factory, but I bet it bumps so loud you can’t here the rattles. Could you still get a 3 on the tree? Looks like automatic transmission, and is that a cruise button on the wiper stalk?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  6. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    No and no. Auto trans was standard on full size Chevrolets since like 1974 or so. Also, the button on the stalk is not pushable...I owned a few Chevrolets from that time period and the ones without cruise all had that “fake” button. What was also interesting was it doesn’t even have a passenger side rear view mirror. I wonder when those became standard.

7. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I was half way joking about the 3 on the tree, this car would have surely had it. Lol thanks for the insight on the faux cruise button. We had an ‘84 Caprice Estate that had cruise so haven’t seen one not equipped with cruise. I don’t think that the right hand mirror was more the norm than the exception till the late ‘80’s-early ‘90’s. I don’t remember seeing any big Ford/Merc without the right hand mirror much past 1988.

8. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Your right...probably became standard in the late 80’s or so.

9. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Even until the late 1980s, new cars didn’t come pre-installed with passenger side-view mirrors. It cost extra and most had to be installed by the dealership if a buyer wanted one.

Still to this day, the law requires only a rear-view mirror and a driver’s-side mirror (though many states specify that a car must possess all the safety equipment that was originally installed at the factory to pass inspection).

It’s only been a couple decades that passenger-side mirrors have been standard equipment on vehicles, but not required
    Pretty soon — with the rapid development of cameras, sensors, and automated driving — they might become obsolete.

10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    You may be right as far as the requirements, but I think the right hand mirrors were summarily added from the factory as part of a “group” accessory package, or an option under convince group type of heading. I still see many late ‘70’s and early to mid ‘80’s cars with the non-adjustable left hand mirror like our dreamboat here, which most likely would not have had any right hand mirror, my point was that by the late ‘80’s most of the full size cars had certainly remote mirrors, and in addition to a right hand mirror. Again I have several Grand Marquis in the ‘86 to ‘91 vintage and don’t remember seeing one of those without a right hand mirror, much less a stationary left hand mirror. Fortunately at my age I don’t ever anticipate having to drive a car where I am totally self reliant on what it tells me is behind me. Lol

11. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    While 20 years from now I'll probable be in the ground, it was 20 years ago that Amazon only sold books,! 30 years ago there was NO internet.