1983 Zimmer

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Fishdaddy88, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Fishdaddy88

Fishdaddy88 New Member

Hey Everybody,

I am new to the forums and wanted to ask a few questions, that maybe somebody could help me out with. I am a auctioneer in Alabama and have been asked by an Estate to sell a few cars and I have my eye on one that I just have to have! The car is a 1983 Zimmer, it has been garage kept (in a hangar) for many years so it has just been sitting. I got the car to my shop last week and started to look it over. I can not find the battery anywhere! So I am thinking it is in the trunk but its a electric trunk and I can not get it to pop. Does anybody on here know how to pop the trunk on a 1983 Zimmer? I am selling the car as is, but if I can get it to turn over or maybe start, I want to buy it so that my father and I can have a project. Attached are a few pics of this bad boy. Thing is very cool! But I have read the layout is bad and its junk, but I just really like how it looks.

Thanks everybody! IMG_5874.jpg

2. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

The positive cable has to go to the starter or a solenoid. Hook an auxillary battery to the cable and a good ground. Then open the trunk. My uncle had a Lincoln with the electronic door locks that you had to punch a password into to get the door open. Battery went dead. Dealership had no suggestions other than to break a window out. He ended up running wires from his boat battery into the trailer hitch plug. It gave enough power to open the doors.

3. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    ^^^ This. Brilliant.

Could you also attach a charger to the positive terminal on the solenoid and to a good ground, set to 10 or 50 amps, and back-energize the circuit?

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If it has a battery, it *should* work, even if it's stone dead. But it likely won't if there's no battery.

5. just me

just me Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just a FYI, your Zimmer would have started out as (most probably) a '82 Ford Thunderbird, on the Ford Fox body chassis...... And now that I'm thinking about it, they COULD have even used a 2-door Fairmont for the basic body and cowl - it would have had the same doors. (It couldn't have been made from a '83 Thunderbird, because the '83 had a new, more rounded body, and the body lines just don't match. Pictures to compare with:
    '82 Thunderbird:
    [​IMG]

'83 Thunderbird:
    [​IMG]

1982 Fairmont 2-door:
    [​IMG]

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

A shame that Fairmont is neglected.