1973 Ford LTD

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, May 27, 2021.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. Stern70

Stern70 Well-Known Member

Judging by the receiver hitch I'm going to say it has air shocks all around. I like a good healthy stance better then a tired look with a sagging ass end.

annap01gt, Country Sedan and markfnc like this.
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    As to the stance issue, I think the tires might have something to do with it - might be slightly oversized, and with a tall 78 aspect ratio.......
    Standard tire size for it back in '73 was J78-15, so I don't know how that translates to current size nomenclature.

Country Sedan likes this.
  4. Country Sedan

Country Sedan .

Wagon Garage:
    The hitch and what looks like a load-leveling control under the dash. This wagon sits the way it is supposed to.

5. Country Sedan

Country Sedan .

Wagon Garage:
    J78-15 = 225/75-15, the common optional size often seen on these cars was L78-15 = 235/75-15.

Note: The VIN listed in the description is for a 2004 Ford Expedition.

"Extremely rare one-year only body style due to emissions laws...." Well we know this body style was produced from 73 to 78 in great numbers and what does body style have to due with emissions?
    Sometimes it's better to only look at the pictures and not read the "stories" posted with these adds.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    60Mercman likes this.
  6. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

I do also. Ran rear air shocks on the Safari for many years and after they went south replaced them with heavy duty rear springs. Judging by how the rocker and rear fender bottom align with the back wheel center cap my estimate is the back now rides 1" to 1 1/2" higher. Much stronger look to my eye.

Country Sedan likes this.
  7. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    642E96FC-59C3-4921-848F-6EA49110FC42.png
    Yeah. Noticed that vin was fishy. If it’s a ‘73 California car there’s a 3J that’s missing in there someplace. Also in reading the guys description he waxes on how tired he is of the “countless” crowds that apparently bore him with trivial stories and memories of station wagons like his from their childhood. Hate to tell you dude, when I’m out in an old wagon, I live for and love to hear those stories. I have conversations with people that get a smile when they see a station wagon! We compare vacations and being hauled to a swim meet and baseball games in the way back. There’s also a couple of aesthetic things that bother me about this car. Not sure what that black looking electrical tape edging along the bottom is. Two other things, and it’s completely my Hyper-focus, OCD weirdness, so don’t jump on me, but I would sure love to see white walls with the correct new style for ‘73 deluxe wire wheel cover. It’s a lovely car sir, but it’s not one of 17 made in a one off model year. As Country Sedan pointed out it’s the first year, not certainly the last. I have a light jade green 1978 to prove it.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    wagoninsane likes this.