replacing carb

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 53Plymouth, May 7, 2021.

1. 53Plymouth

53Plymouth Member

1965 Ford CS 352 4 barrel. Any opinions on a replacement carb ?

Thanks

Ron

2. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Fitec, or Holley TBI fuel injection.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If you stick with carburetion, a rebuild would likely net you the best bang for your buck. However, finding a carb rebuilder local to you might prove to be tough. What was the original factory carb, an Autolite 4100?

4. 53Plymouth

53Plymouth Member

Thanks for the reply. Normally I would just go to the easiest one which is an Edelbrock 4 barrel but since I am going to really drive this car I want to make the best choice I can. I have looked at the Fitec/Holley FI and have this under consideration. Don't know if I can install this myself but I do have a good guy that I am sure can. Other then that , if I do go carb Edelbrock or Holley ?

Yes, I have the Autolite 4100.

Ron

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Then you can either rebuild the 4100, buy a replacement of the same CFM and adapt it, or go with a newer EFI. I already mentioned the rebuild's downside; the new carb's downside is adapting the carb to your engine, and the EFI's downside is the cost and complexity.

6. 53Plymouth

53Plymouth Member

Anytime you attempt to change something there is always a compromise. I have several old wagons that I have retrofitted to be able to use extensively for trips and daily driving. This one will join the others. I have never used EFI but I am thinking this may be the best way to go. I know the about cost but ultimately the reliability is most important. I would like to hear from someone who has actually used these systems on a bone stock older vehicle and their opinions. Already changed out the cooling system in preparation for vintage air unit, upgraded front anti sway bar and added a rear one, gas shocks in front, hijackers in rear, gauges, higher amp alternator to handle the electric fan and new hidden radio unit. A/C will be installed in a few weeks. Seriously planning a trip out west in Sept for about a month to take in all the sites after the summer crowds leave. Did a similar trip in Sept. 2019 with my 53 Plymouth Savoy Wagon with similar upgrades. Just a lot of fun.

Ron

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Niiiice! Leadslead's family and I will be running on US 89 in late June, after we pick up the cars we bought up in Washington State...a '66 Mercury Breezeway, (his), and an '89 Colony Park (mine).

received_1687717251414916.jpeg received_774661316526388.jpeg

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

The Breezeway will need a bit of work, but very minimal rust, and once down here, we'll work to upgrade it, brakes, ignition, sound system, etc., and a repaint to the original paint color, which is close to Brittany Blue.

9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Many Fords of that era came from the factory with Holley carbs. In most cases, they can be a direct bolt on. My 57 Ford had one, my uncle's 63 Merc Marauder had one, as did another uncle's 62 Ford wagon. I was always a Holley fan and put them on every Ford I owned.

10. 60Courior

60Courior Member

IMHO the Ford 4100 is the best all around carb you can run on your car. I have one on my 79 Ranchero. You can get better performance with the Holley but the one I have sits on the shelf. I use Carter/Edelbrock I have for a doorstop. Not a fan.

11. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Fitec and Holley are easy installs, and they self tune after inputting the parameters of your engine. They come with a handheld setup tool, and require very few mods. The two major ones are the fuel pump, and the O2 sensor, and they even make that easy. I know of a few people who are pleased with the performance. I have a multiport Holley injection on my 454, and it is a dream to work with. The cost is a lot higher than the TBI models, and is a little more wiring intensive, but still not all that bad.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

For me, the wiring isn't the problem...it's the cost, especially on SSDI