over priced vehicle of the day 1970 bronco

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by markfnc, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yeah, there are those who want Japanese-market cars and are willing to pay out the wazoo for them.

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe $31,250.50. That money would be just obscene. Or maybe it’s in rubles. As an aside I went back and read the comments. Apparently another good one recently went for $250,000. Yes the world is officially nuts. Could you imagine one these and a Bronco in your garage in 2001. Maybe $15-20 k for the pair. Fast forward 20 years and you have nearly a half million bucks in rolling stock.

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I remember back in the ‘90’s the Japanese were paying $100-250k for 1959 and ‘60 Cadillacs. Now Americans are paying $300,000 for Subarus. We’re either at the edge of a bubble, or this is revenge.

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I am not a fan of Subarus, of any stripe. Just not. But I can appreciate a vehicle that has a pedigree, one that has earned the respect of it's peers. Weather that be for a particular design, technological revolution, feat of engineering, racing heritage, etc. Despite the fact that I'm "not interested in these" I can separate that from my observation and be genuinely impressed. It doesn't change my overall feeling, but I walk away with a positive impression.
    However, there are certainly times when I can see something, appreciate it's provenance, and still come away thinking "who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for this?"
    That is definitely the case with this car. I just can't wrap my mind around it.

5. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    One explanation I've heard for inflated "collectible" prices is that many people are sitting at home, in front of their computer, with lots of money and nothing to spend it on, so they're bidding the prices up of everything that could be called "collectible".

The other explanation is that people are just crazy. Said the man who is sitting in front of his computer searching for 1966 Mustangs. :D

markfnc, OrthmannJ and 60Mercman like this.
  6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

7. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In five or ten years we are going to hear how BaT was really just an elaborate money laundering scheme with a few legitimate car sales mixed in.

60Mercman likes this.
  8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I'll hold you to that. But, stranger things have happened.

9. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
  10. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    BaT has turned into a zoo. The prices commanded there are ridiculous. Yes, they are nice vehicles, but I can't see the value being anywhere near the prices these cars are going for.

I guess I need to list my Malibu wagon there. Maybe I can get $10k...

11. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    What I wonder is, how many high bidders on BAT actually follow through with their purchase? Anyone have any experience either buying or selling on BAT?

12. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think they are pretty strict about that over there. The whole reason BaT exists is because of all of the garbage going on on ebay (non-payers, questionable bids, etc.). You do hear of an occasional buyer that does not come through, but it is pretty rare.

13. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I thin its pretty good too. If a bidder backs out they are banned, i think. they best thing is all old auctions are there if you look for them. A new bid might say he bought on BAT 2 years ago. you can look it up to see what it sold for.

14. mrvans

mrvans Well-Known Member

I have used eBay, BaT, Hemmings Auctions, and Cars&Bids.
    Both BaT and Cars&Bids are selective on the vehicles they will accept to list, with C&B sticking to newer cars. They vet the cars accepted and provide the bidders a CarFax. If they suspect anything amiss, they will pull an auction. Unscrupulous sellers and deadbeat buyers are extremely rare and will be permanently banned. Bidders must provide a credit card deposit, the winners fee is non refundable to ensure competition of the sale. BaT has passionate followers who will also vet cars in the forum and often provide historical insight. Selling prices are generally top of market, but most are high quality cars. Cars&Bids is newer to the market and trying to replicate the BaT formula. I have sold on both with excellent results, but generally don’t expect to find a bargain as a buyer.
    Hemmings Auction has a large built in audience from their legacy listings. They also require a bidders deposit. They seem less selective, particularly on setting seller’s reserve and many auctions seem to roll over to Premium Listings. BaT and C&B have a much higher selling percentage. My selling experience with Hemmings has been positive as well.
    eBay is a whole other story. It took four “sold” auctions to actually complete a sale ( two deadbeats and one ghost). Had to raise heck with eBay about refunding listing fees as they claimed the vehicle sold. If I ever tried eBay again as a seller (doubtful), I would aggressively vet bidders and cancel bids to those that do not reply. Only upside to eBay, if there is one, is that I have made a couple of purchases below market on relistings as the sellers were so frustrated with the process, they were happy to deal with a fast paying buyer.

15. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member