Cut the old or get new springs?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Whagon, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Whagon

Whagon New Member

I'm about to replace the old and put new Bilstein shocks on my 1983 300SD. I tried to find a set of H&R's and saw their sport spring. Still hesitant to buy it though.

I've read that it's possible to cut the springs. What if you remove the 1.25 coils from the factory original front springs, as well as the 1/2 coil from the rear? Is it true that the HD Bilsteins combined with the lower ride height will improve the handling? As far as I googled, they say it will turn out better than expected and the ride is nice. I'd be glad to get insights/feedback from you guys.

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have cut springs and gotten good results, but you can't get crazy. I wouldn't plan on going more than 1.5 coils with stock springs. The H&R springs could be a good option for you. Does Vogtland make springs for your car? The other part of the equation is making sure your shocks are up to the task. Stiff, but underdamped springs are not very pleasant. I would hope the HD Bilsteins would be up to the task, but I don't know anything about that specific model. I'm sure nobody here has experience with your specific setup and what you are planning to do. If you have the time to play around it won't cost you anything but time to cut the stock springs and see how they do and if you like the drop. If you don't like it you can always just go aftermarket.

3. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

+1

4. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A Mercedes forum could probably give a better answer to this.
    Having said that I'll add that any time you diminish suspension travel ride will suffer.
    Me? Unless the springs are broken or obviously sagging I'd start with fresh shocks and bushings before altering what MB carefully engineered.
    Also, I've found the Billys to crash over bumps.

5. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The car height is dependent on the obstacles you will encounter on the road. Flat roads with few bumps and lumps will allow for a lower car with stiffer springs. Your suspension travel will be less, and there will be more body deflection with stiffer lowering springs. You also need an alignment for the lowered suspension. Cutting springs makes them slightly stiffer. A slightly more aggressive shock will not hurt anything, maybe even an adjustable type. Lowering a car will almost always make the car handle better with all other things the same.