Wagon Rescue

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by HoosierWagon, Mar 8, 2021.

1. HoosierWagon

HoosierWagon Member

Morning, everyone. Had a couple comments in the Craigslist section but wanted to do the formal new member post. Back in January I rescued a 70 Belvedere wagon from a falling down garage in downtown Chicago where it’s been parked since 1977. Slant six with 52k original miles. It’s pretty rough but the plan is for a father/son project with my 12 & 10 year old boys to get it safe and reliable for when they go to high school. There will be lots of learning for us all as we go. I’m praying it’s not too far gone. I haven’t gotten under it yet to check the frame. Questions will be coming!

fannie likes this.
  2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum HoosierWagon! That's great you were able to save this longroof before it was devoured by the crumbling building it has been sitting in! Are your plans to just get this road worthy or do you have other plans for it? Anyway good luck with whatever you decide! A lot of really great informative people hang around here! If you need any help don't be afraid to reach out! Again welcome and good luck with your project, keep us posted on your progress! (we also love pictures!).....Longroofs Rule!

3. HoosierWagon

HoosierWagon Member

Next step is to get it in the air and check the frame praying it's not garbage. Then just get it running and driving safely and enjoy it as is. Work on the body as time allows. The dents on the side are from forklifting it with straps onto the trailer. I couldn't get it out of park to roll it. Hopefully those will pull out with some water and a plunger. Way down the road would be engine swap and restoration once the kids are gone.

fannie likes this.
  4. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome HoosierWagon!

5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Hoosier! Glad to see that this one was rescued! It will be a great bonding experience for you and your sons.

6. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Even if it does have a bit of frame rot, B- body metal has been re-popped for decades at this point.
    Best of luck, I miss my old 70 Sport Satellite 9 pass.

7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard, likes like a great project. Sounds like you are into it for the long haul...sometimes it takes a long haul, that's where I am.

Enjoy the forums and the rebuild.

:wave: