1992 RoadMaster Vinyl Question??!!??

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by WildWoody, Jan 14, 2021.

1. WildWoody

WildWoody New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Anyone have the easiest way to get the vinyl paneling and the supports that hold it off?

Attached Files:

2. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The vinyl will come off with a heat gun, but be careful not to get it too hot. The vinyl only extends about 1/16 inch under the surrounding trim, and can be removed without removing the perimeter trim. The areas around the door handles,and license plate are painted tan to disguise the poor fit around them. You may be able to use compound to remove the tan, and expose the original body color under it.

If you are removing the top trim, it is complicated, and you must be extremely careful with the front fender. There are pins and clips for the front, and if you break the pins, there are no parts available unless you get them from a junk yard. The upper trim is aluminum, so be gentle with it.

3. WildWoody

WildWoody New Member

Wagon Garage:

Thank you, I'm going to paint over it so it doesn't have to be perfect just smooth and I read online that they are riveted on so I didn't know if i need to get an angle grinder and just grind them off. I just need to get time to work on it.

4. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There are small T pins under the upper and lower trim. There are also some holes. If you are permanently removing the trim, you need to fill the holes, and grind the pins off. The vinyl will come off easily with a little help from a heat gun, or hair dryer.