Introducing myself

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 53Plymouth, Dec 27, 2020.

1. 53Plymouth

53Plymouth Member

Thanks for the welcome. I am surprised that I was not aware of this forum. Have owned a lot of vehicle over the past 50 years but got totally interested in wagons about 10 years ago. I still from time to time purchase another body style but seldom ever keep it for the long haul ( no pun intended). Pictures are of my 4 wagons with the 65 Squire just purchased but not delivered as yet from Calif. 53 Plymouth and 56 Chevrolet have been modified mechanically but kept as stock appearing as possible in and out. I drive the wagons quite a bit. 53 Plymouth went to Mt. Rushmore in 2019 as well as Detroit for Woodward Dream Cruise in same year. Florida was the starting point for all the trips. 56 Chevrolet was just finished about two months ago but due to the VIRUS no trips have been planned.

The 1965 Squire is going to be a daily driver in N. Carolina for a small farm we have up there. Had to finally buy something that could be driven by the wife without worry. Just have to add A/C, replace the vinyl and update all systems for reliability. What else could possibly go wrong ? LOL This car was owned by the 2nd owner since 2003 in Calif. Glad to have found it unmolested, no rust and with relatively low miles 70K. Have not seen it in person but after many talks with the owner I feel that it is as described. Had it looked over by a dealer in the area so at least I would have a 2nd opinion. The only thing that surprised me was the transport fees. I use Reliable because they are reliable but things have gone up since I used them 5 years ago. $2300 enclosed from Calif to Florida. I quit using brokers as the lack of dependability, experience and third party hauler has left me questioning several times the savings.

I look forward to having some comments on the replacement of the vinyl wood sides. Have never done this before and may decide that I will farm it out so any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

wagoninsane and fannie like this.
  2. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

Beautiful Wagons - welcome to the group

3. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I always made it a practice to replace the timing chain and gears on Fords with that kind of mileage. They always have a lot of chain stretch and the cam gear is nylon which is subject to cracking and failure. A sloppy chain will shear the nylon teeth off the gear. Then the pieces get sucked up in your oil pickup and lodge in the oil pump which locks it up and corkscrews the shaft that drives it. Best get ahead of it before that happens. Likewise, the valve guide seals crack and work their way into the oiling system and do the same thing. If I was going to keep the car, it always got a new steel set of chain and gears and a valve job with new guides and seals. We did 100's of these in the 35 years I had my shop. One 67 wagon that I bought from a customer who didn't want to spend the money to repair it actually had the front main bearing gall to the crank from lack of oil.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome.:welcomewagon: Those are all great looking wagons.:)
    Over 5 1/2 years ago 3 of my cars were shipped as you see to the left, from NW Florida to the middle of Illinois. I probably paid around $1500 at that time. (?)
    The cars left in 90+ sunny weather to be delivered in a few days. Two different trucks, several break downs, vehicles left apparently unattended, went through snow, ice, salt, rain, and became short block vehicles from running drivers. Arrived two weeks later in sad shape. No matter what references you get, things can change overnight.

Nothing else could go wrong!:badwords:
    Salty Shipping.jpg 1931 model A Ford pickup chassis $1800.jpg

fannie likes this.
  5. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome 53Plymouth!

6. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard...awesome wagons. Thanks for sharing.

7. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like you have some cool longroofs in your stable! Good luck with your project!....Longroofs Rule!

8. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum, 53Plymouth!

9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard! Looks like you have some fantastic wagons there! I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

10. Caprice Estate

Caprice Estate Dads 74 Caprice

Wagon Garage:
    A hardy welcome aboard from Milton, Ontario, Canada. Beauties every one of them but that 56 210 wagon sure has caught my attention........... I love it. I had a 56 210 sedan (1981-1984). My wagon is a 74 Chev Caprice Estate. Enjoy the ride and cheers.

11. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Welcome, Great Wagons!