Canadian cars....

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Krash Kadillak, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Canadian Mercurys were featured with an impressive trim level

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

wylee likes this.
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ^^^ Those are some nice ones, Doghead! Can't be many Mercury COE's left......

3. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

4. Caprice Estate

Caprice Estate Dads 74 Caprice

Wagon Garage:
    I would like to add my Canadian issue 1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan to this thread on Canadian Cars. To those that do not know this already, most Canadian built Pontiac's were based on the Chevrolet platform. My 57 Pontiac is in actuality a 57 Chevy in disguise, I kid you not. For one thing the standard motor was the trusty 261 GM inline six cylinder and the 283 V-8 was an extra cost option. All American 57 Pontiac's came with the standard issue 347 V-8, so it amazes many Americans that we had a in line six in our 57 Pontiac's. On my 57 all the glass, the front doors, the frame, front and rear suspension, the complete drive train, the brakes, steering, most of the wiring, the rims, steering wheel, the complete floor and trunk area and the roof is all 1957 Chevrolet. All Canadian built 1957 Pontiac's were built by GM of Canada in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada and just over 48,000 of these cars were built for the Canadian market. This number would be very low for the U.S. but for Canada that was a very good sales figure. I remember a number of years ago, going to a Pontiac car show in the Buffalo, New York area and meeting a gentleman that never stopped giving me a hard time for having a six in my Pontiac. He could not accept that 57 Pontiac's came with six bangers, he thought I modified my 57 for some very strange reason. I would like to post pictures of my Canadian 1957 Pontiac here but the images are too large for the system. My car car is elsewhere here on the site, for anyone that is interested. Great interesting topic here. Cheers.

Grizz likes this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If you resize your pics to 1 MB or smaller, they'll load. Or, you can email them to me at silvertwinkiehobo@gmail.com, and I can resize them then send them back to you.

6. Caprice Estate

Wagon Garage:
    I really appreciate the help in this regard. I have sent you an email with pictures of my 57 Canadian Pontiac. Cheers.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

They're on the way back. She's a sweetie of a ride, I gotta say!

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

So, toggle 'upload a file.' It'll bring up a window.

Screenshot_20201122-112440.png

Toggle 'choose file,' and it'll access your picture files. Select one, and toggle it. It will appear at the bottom of the page below the text box. Repeat for as many pics as you're putting up. Then, there'll be an extra window that says 'insert all files as:' with a button for thumbnails, and a button for full images. I prefer to do full images, as it makes it easier for anyone viewing my post.

9. Caprice Estate

Wagon Garage:
    Here is my Canadian 1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan with 261 inline six cylinder. Based on a 1957 Chevrolet. Cheers. PSX_20201120_114439.jpg PSX_20201120_114529.jpg PSX_20201120_114504.jpg PSX_20201120_114557.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    wylee and Doghead like this.
  10. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Gorgeous.

11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Dang that's awesome! I love it. Thank you for sharing it with us and for the very interesting history as well.

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

And now, if you would please tell us how you came to be in possession of such a gorgeous car?

14. Caprice Estate

Wagon Garage:
    I grew up as a kid around a car such as mine because my mom and dad owned one from 1959 to 1970, when the trusty 261 six finally threw a rod. I built my car as an exact duplicate, with the exception that I loaded on some factory and dealer accessories on mine. My car was originally two tone green but the car now wears the same colors as my folks 57. My dad was always a GM man (Chevy, Pontiac and Buick) and I took after my dad. We have lots of family photos and family home made movies with the family 57 Pontiac in it and for that I am thankful. I had body off restored a 57 Chev Bel Air hardtop that I had from 1984 to 2007 and by 1995 I was getting antsy about doing another car. In 1995 I started getting serious about finding a Canadian 57 Pontiac like my dads. I finally found the right candidate in May 1996 and rebuilt everything and drove the car for a year. I then decided that I wanted to do the car right and make the car a tribute to my folks. I finished the car in spring 1998. I have been enjoying the car ever since. Cheers.

Doghead, OrthmannJ and wagoninsane like this.
  15. Silvertwinkiehobo

I honestly wish I had a story like that, and the means to carry it out. If I did, I would do either Mom's 1980 Silverado Heavy Half pickup, which was Mom and Dad's 25th Anniversary present, or Dad's 1966 VW Bug Cabrio in Mom's favorite car colors, Yukon Yellow with black top.