1971 Lincoln Continental

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, Nov 16, 2020.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

You should not let that scare you if you are really interested, if it runs it should only cost $1000 to $1500 to have it shipped to you on an open trailer.

Offer $2000 and see what happens. As the car has dropped off of the California DMV records, it is likely unsellable to some one local, as to title it in California the new owner would have to pay all the fees sense it was last titles & plated.

The seller may be willing to deal on it.

If the seller does not have a title offer $1000 just for the hassle you could have titling it.

3. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Passing out of the system isn't that big a deal here, it's just a bunch of paperwork to fill out and fees to pay. Fortunately not the back fees.

But ultimately don't let a west coast car shipping fear kill a deal. A car that cheap if you can get it titled is worth what you'll save in rust repair.

4. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Where are you located, elB?

5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    He’s selling a dead customer’s car?? How does that work?! Does the seller have a mechanic shop?! You’d think they would fix the carb and add a battery then?? Seems a bit fishy
    “Oh, it’s a customer who died? You must own a mechanic shop.”

“No, I sell Nembutal Pentobarbital. Why do you ask?”

6. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    California now. Lived in TN for the last 6 years. I've bought almost 30 cars over the years and the only non-paperwork state I would avoid is Texas. California requires an affidavit be filled out, a bond to be issued, and done. Presuming no one comes up to claim it in 2-3 years, you are good. Texas is an ugly system to try and navigate with little\no paperwork that you have to deal with the highway patrol and police and they are not cool about it.

The only thing that *really* would concern me is a car like this actually not being out of the system... the police system. You can't check that no matter who says otherwise and law enforcement or the DMV won't tell you until you go to register it, then suddenly the awkward questions start coming. I've known plenty of people who owned a classic car that was in the garage who died and the wife or kids had no clue where the paperwork was, much less cared to get it replaced. My buddy's dad was killed very unexpectedly 10 years ago and he had a '67 Lincoln in mint shape in his garage. It took him and his mom a long while to locate the paperwork when they moved and get the car sold. This guy's story is fishy and I would be wary of it only because of the price.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Actually, things, while they look scary, and give you tension headaches, here in Texas, has backed off considerably. Joe, Ash and I went in on an auction car in SA, and for the tiny amount of damage it *did* have on the nose and front bumper, it ended up with a 'pink' title, which indicates that it's a 'salvage' car. But, I only had to fill out one form detailing how I repaired the car, and the source of the repair parts, Ash had it inspected at a DPS-authorized inspection station and paid the monies at the tax office, got new plates and pink title. Ended up pissing me off that I had to stress so much, only to find out that most of the info on-line, and from the tax and law enforcement offices, is way out of date.

8. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    See, that's for actual paperwork cars. Cars that you buy with zero paperwork? No title or registration that have been out of the system for ages? Big problem... or rather, they were in 2000 when I got burned by it. The DPS had no interest in registering the car and I couldn't find an insurance agency who would do the bond. Ended up scrapping the car over it.

Hopefully this has gotten better. Because let's not kid ourselves, a +50 year old car that isn't incredibly valuable and honestly looks like it was pulled out of a field is not a candidate for the theft that these laws were designed to protect against.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Joe was able to get a bonded title on his '73 Galaxie, without much fuss, and is holding off on inspection till we can find a windshield for it. So, back when you wanted to do it, yeah, I'm sure DPS would get involved, but nowadays, not anymore. And yeah, if I had to scrap a car for any bureaucrat's hindrance, I'd be p!$$ed, no question about it.