1976 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Oct 12, 2020.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

A pretty nice car. I like how he even loads up some plywood to show that the cargo area will hold a 4 x 8 sheet lying flat, something that was a popular selling point with the clamshells back in the day.

It seems to have all the desirable options (A/C, cruise control, tilt wheel, AM/FM radio---I don't think it's an 8-track as well, power tailgate, luggage rack, power windows and door locks, rear defogger, third seat, clock, and rubber bumper strips). Can't see if it has power seats. The few things it doesn't have are a trip odometer, fuel economy gauge, or speed sentinel, which I always thought was redundant if you have cruise control, but maybe not. We can't tell if the driver's side rearview mirror is remote control. I'm guessing it's not based on the style. I think the remote-control mirrors were chrome and not body-colored. The passenger side mirror is not remote control. I think the passenger-side rearview mirror itself was an option.

The only thing I don't like is that he cut into the front door panels to put in the radio speakers. After taking care NOT to butcher the dash by putting the aftermarket radio nicely into the ashtray, he then proceeds to butcher the door panels. Oh well, can't have everything.

00x0x_cbPISqqLzrH_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

IMG-20201012-WAa0000.jpg

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not as sure about GM, but on Ford the sport mirrors were usually remote. The non remote Ford mirror was usually that flat chrome square mirror. 1973 was the first remote passenger mirror on the Ford with controls by the radio, same with chrome and sport mirrors. Don’t believe Full size Ford ever had a choice of chrome vs sport mirrors. Usually a Torino and down Model choice. Agree about the speakers, front down and rear panels also booger’d up.

Country Sedan likes this.
  4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like the 4x8 sheets fit in the clamshells rather easily. 4x8's fit in the GM box wagons, but you have to move the front seat ALL the way forward to do it. If you're more than regular-sized, you're going to have trouble fitting behind the driver's seat.

Curious how the 4x8 sheets fit in the full-sized '70's Fords......?

5. Country Sedan

Country Sedan .

Wagon Garage:
    They fit, with the doorgate closed.

60Mercman and Krash Kadillak like this.
  6. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

Car just looked odd on the interior. Zoom in on the dash pad, it’s been wrapped in vinyl/leather. It appears the seats have been redone too if you look closely at the seat seems.

The only thing I don’t like is the aftermarket trim through the middle of the woodgrain.