Time for a change........

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Krash Kadillak, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Today was the day. I officially placed the '81 Safari up for sale.

I'm not really sad about placing it up for sale. I'm mostly sad for the unrealized expectations of what a nice wagon it was going to be. I wasn't able to do a lot of things I wanted to do, and I wasn't able to take care of it the way it needed to be taken care of.

Don't buy a woodie wagon unless you have a garage or shop to keep it in, out of the elements. Here's what it looked like when I got it, in 2012:

And here's what it looks like today:
    LT side 1.JPG

What's also been troubling has been the drivability. Apparently these 307's have some kind of computer control on the carburetor, and I haven't been able to get it running without a lot of stumbling and idle issues. I've bought two carburetors / installation on the wagon, the last time just a month or so ago, and it's still not idling correctly.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The wagon is (hopefully) going to a Canadian fellow up above Detroit (I think). He has TWO of these already, and he expressed interest in mine quite some time ago.

Not sure what I'll end up with after this, but right now, a small pickup would suit me more than a station wagon. We'll see though......

Steve-E-D and ModelT1 like this.
  2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry to hear that. I know you searched for a while for that thing. Finding somebody that knows how to and has the tools to work on the CCC system these days is not easy. Actually I'd bet finding somebody that knows how to work on a carburetor period these days is not easy.

It is still a good looking car, and I wouldn't think replacing the woodgrain would be too terrible on that. The body and paint still look excellent. Good luck with the sale.

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    From what I understand, that particular Di-Noc pattern is no longer available The only 'planked' Di-Noc that you can get is for the Fords..... 'Woodgrain 4 Wagons' could probably get it.

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You can let the next owner worry about the Di-Noc replacement. Then when he lists it for sale we'll all critique it for not having the original Di-Noc.

ModelT1, Grizz and 60Mercman like this.
  5. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good luck with your sale. It still looks like a lovely car. I agree about the di-noc. Out here in the southwest the sun eats that stuff for lunch.

6. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Getting a 1981+ carbureted vehicle to run right is an exercise in patience and having the right tools. Going to a slightly older '77-79 model would fix that problem. You can also get a wagon without woodgrain next time to avoid that issue (which is a problem mine suffered from as well so I'm sympathetic). Good luck!

7. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Good luck with the sale Krash. Hope you don't completely leave the forums, always enjoyed reading your comments.

60Mercman likes this.
  8. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    - Yeah, I'll never own another woodgrained wagon.

- I'm not 'going away'. I was here a long time BEFORE I owned a classic wagon......

fannie, ModelT1 and 60Mercman like this.
  9. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about the woodgrain. My wagon is under cover and also has a car cover over it, but the sun does shine on the tail gate for a bit and it has really faded it despite all the covering!

I've got a bit of original Di-Noc which is similar to my 78 Estate Wagon (it was for an Oldsmobile so not quite as dark but very close) which I could use on the tailgate in the future. A member posted about this place in the Woodgrain sub-forum as they now have the dark walnut for my wagon, but don't know if they have any thing for the Poncho.

https://www.stripeman.com/woodgrain-kits/

Good luck!

10. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Well Marshall, like KevinVarnes said, I know how long you looked for a wagon like this. I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you had hoped. I understand you need a change of pace, but hopefully you'll find a wagon in the future that fits your needs and your garage.

ModelT1 and 60Mercman like this.
  11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Good. I don't own a wagon, but I sure do love 'em, and on this site, like Fullsizebronco.com and Ranchero.us, the forum members, for the most part, are good-natured, quirky in their own ways, and radically helpful to n00bs as well as established members. So yeah, you might find a small pick'emup truck you like...or hate...but I expect you'll be around for a long time, same as myself.

ModelT1 likes this.
  12. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
  13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I'm sorry to hear that. I mean, I'm not sorry that you still have the Way Back Machine, but I have been where you are.
    Trying to sell something, for whatever reason, thinking you have a sale and then having it fall through. It can be disheartening, disappointing, frustrating...
    I hope that very soon you are able to find someone who will love the wagon and take car of it.

annap01gt, ModelT1 and 60Mercman like this.
  14. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Good luck Krash. Dreams and plans don't aways go as planned.......... at least that's what I've been told.
    From the little I've been back on the forums, seems like a lot of us are wagonless, or wagon owners with broken wagons. We'll be here until we go to the great station wagon yard in the sky......... or get kicked off for writing too much crap not related to wagons.:yikes:

Attached Files:

60Mercman likes this.
  15. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    The 'Way-Back Machine' was sold yesterday to a classic vehicle dealer in Redmond, Oregon.

fannie and ModelT1 like this.