What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My carpet came from SMS yesterday, haven't checked it out yet. I'll get back with a report and pictures!.....Longroofs Rule!

2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Didn't bother with pictures of the carpet it's not all there!? I adamantly made it clear that the items I was ordering was for a station wagon. I received a carpet for a four door. I assumed SMS made the carpets but they out sourced it to a different company. Now I wait for SMS to return my calls. Longroofs Rule! (dealing with these situations suck!)

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    OMG. How aggravating. I see these adds on eBay for carpet kits, you put your car in, says fit then when you do more research it “doesn’t” fit your station wagon. I think we were in a period of mediocrity prior to Covid, now companies are setting the bar for low expectations based on Covid. Not saying that was your situation, but I think our new normal is going to be bad service. I would almost bet when you get a call back there will be some reference to their staff working from home, and apologizing for the mix up. Good luck and hope you get your Wagon situated with its fresh materials and carpets.

fannie and Doghead like this.
  4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Sorry to hear that wagoninsane. I can feel your pain. Over the course of the last decade I have been involved in a number of restorations. I have to say that the fit of aftermarket parts & pieces overall is sub-par. I also have to say that customer service with the aftermarket suppliers is a mixed bag. One day I could call a company, get Ronda on the phone and she would get stuff done. The next time I could call the same company and get Dave, who didn't really care if he helped me solve the issue or not.

It can be very, very frustrating to deal with the process of gathering parts for fixing up a classic automobile.

5. thehazguy

thehazguy Member

Wagon Garage:
    20200612_184545 (1).jpg Put in an aluminum driveshaft today from an SSR 05-06 manual . Mine was pretty rusty. Only a 1/2 inch longer had to get a new yoke and a 2-1153 rear u-joint. Fit right in the 1996 Roadmaster wagon.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    OrthmannJ and Doghead like this.
  6. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ok guys (and Dolls) my Winged Wagon is almost done. (see Garage pictures of Sarge).
    The more I think about it, the more I want to install the 450 horse Corvette LS 6 motor in it. I bought the motor to install in a 73 Corvette I was building but sold the body when I bought the wagon. To fund the install, I may sell one or both of my two other wagons. That is a hard decision...but there is about three grand is stuff to do and my fun money fund is sucking wind. Maybe I'll buy some Lottery tickets and get lucky!! Stafford-Missouri City-20140304-00529.jpg

7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Wow, that would be cool. What's in it now? Stock drivetrain?

8. Algercruiser

Algercruiser Member

Moved my '91 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser into the garage stall I'll use to replace the engine. With 232,000 miles it runs fine but has lots of engine compression blow by and power loss. Last fall I rebuilt a 5.7 engine and now it's time to make the swap. While I'm at it I'll switch the A/C to r134a. Here's hoping it goes well.

Doghead likes this.
  9. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Good luck with all your swaps.

10. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The guy I bought it from says he thought it was a 327. It looks like a 350 to me, but whenever I pull the tranny I'll look at the end of the crank and ID it. Truth is, it is a very tight engine and runs just fine...I just have this LS with nowhere else to put it. Oh yeah 10 mpg with the A/C on...

OrthmannJ likes this.
  11. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Bet when it was new with either a 283 or maybe a 348 probably didn’t get a whole lot more over 10-15 mpg then. The 327 was out like ‘62 right? I think. I have a ‘60 Cadillac with the 390, and it’s about 12mpg on a good day. I guess global warming in 1960 wasn’t at the forefront of car owners.

101Volts and OrthmannJ like this.
  12. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Has anyone here tried Amsoil Upper Cylinder Lubricant for their 10 MPG car? I tried it in my 05 Explorer and it did raise the MPG by about 0.8. I imagine it would be more worthwhile to use in a 10 MPG car, but it wasn't worth my time in the Explorer (the higher the MPG, the less fuel you save by going up 1 more MPG.)

The fuel additive's about $5 per bottle (or $3.65,* if you paid for the Amsoil discount that pays for itself if you buy enough from them.)

* Shipping not included.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/upper-cylinder-lubricant-ucl/

[​IMG]

13. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not much work on the wagon. Just normal matinence like a new aircleaner and oil change.
    Driving out to Keizer to work on my friends Pinto panel wagon. (I posted pictures here last fall.)

[​IMG]

Enjoying the nice warm weather. :)

14. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Somebody out by Dexter Lake (just a few miles S/E of me...) is selling a '58 Ranch Wagon.......

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/pleasant-hill-1958-ford-ranch-wagon/7145607876.html
    (More pics with the CL ad...)
    Ford Ranch Wagon 58 Dexter Lake.jpg

101Volts and Grizz like this.
  15. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's nice and a little too reasonable for the condition.