Rear sway bar for '91-'96 GM B-body wagons

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Moparman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. cutlassmike

cutlassmike nothing is easy, everything is hard.

Wow this is an old tread. Chances are you may not answer but here goes;
    I am doing the same mod to my 88 Caprice wagon. I drilled holes into the "C" channel as you have done.

How did you end up with the final position of your axle mounted bushings?? Did you just put it all together loose and set car down at ride height THEN tighten the exhaust clamps?? Should the end links sit nice and vertical while at ride height and the axle bushing end up where they end up?

On my application {set up loose} the SW bushings are tilted more rearward than yours {IE not perpendicular to the road}

I intend on welding my brackets to the axle so I would like to be sure on placement. Asking someone who has lived with this mod seems prudent.

Thanks!

2. Igotawoody

Igotawoody New Member

-------
    This is one of those situations in life where if it makes sense, do it. Everyone is using various parts and pieces to get it done, so it's hard to give any universal advice. However, my situation was similar to yours: 1) My end links are not parallel or perpendicular to anything, but we learned in school that is a "zero force member"and are considered infinitely strong, so don't worry about that, the bushings will deal with the misalignment. 2) Due to the goofy alignment of things, I thought about welding the clamps onto the axle tubes of mine when I was putting everything together, I never did and the clamps never spun on my axle.

The best advise I can offer is tighten everything either with the suspension loaded or unloaded (pick one), crawl under there, pay attention, go for a test drive, make adjustments as needed. Don't be affraid to try new things to get it to work, the mod is incredibly worth the struggle. Just be careful with the brake lines, you don't want the clamps to spin into those and eventually wear a leaks in them, get under the car every few weeks and look at things to make sure you are not going to get into trouble. Good luck!

3. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

I know this is about gm wagons but I did it on my 78 country squire and made a big difference. Also a bar from a Lincoln mark but I had to make up l brackets to fit the frame and used Dakota links to fit. If your car does not have one you will be surprised by the difference it made

4. cutlassmike

cutlassmike nothing is easy, everything is hard.

I finished up that install this weekend.
    I rotated the axle mounted bushing slightly rearward. This allowed the endlinks to be more vertical at ride height. ALSO had the unintended benefit of limiting axle droop. With my lowered {shorter} rear springs when the car was picked up by the hoist the axle would droop and the springs could fall out/become misaligned. My sway bar axle bushing positioning limits the droop and the springs stay put. wogon finished 3.jpg

This is the wagon in question. I'll take a shot of the rear sway bar in the near future.