1960 Plymouth wagon - LA area

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by moparandfomoco, Aug 14, 2019.

1. CustomCruiser90

CustomCruiser90 Well-Known Member

When we moved into the house I live in, late 1961, our neighbors to the left had a two tone blue '60 Fury two door hardtop with the Flitesweep rear deck. They and the car disappeared quickly, he'd been a house painter, and had told our mom it bothered him to see the painters with wheelbarrows full of paint slapping it on these houses. I presume they went to a more upscale house to retire in. I love these '60's, one reason being Ward Cleaver drove a '60 Fury four door sedan in the '59-'60 season.

annap01gt and 60Mercman like this.
  2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    He started off with a blah ‘57 Custom in the first season. June must have given him the business, as Wally would say to get a snazzier car. His ‘58-‘59 and ‘60 all had the toilet seat option. Just saw the episode where Wally pushed Lumpy’s car with Wards new ‘63 Fury. In a desperate bind he was able get the headlight, chrome surround, and hood re-aligned for $14.85. At a local shop. Couldn’t buy a taillight bulb for that today.

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Perversion was kept subtily in between the lines, back then. For example, Ward was presented as a Cleaver of sorts, and his joungest son a Beaver :facepalm:. And why Lumpy? Was Lumpy's gravy lumpy or what? Was he supposed to be lousy in the kitchen?

annap01gt likes this.
  4. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

This discussion is bringing back so many memories. I was always a little sour that our family always had the base model cars while the tv families got the Fury, Polara or Impala. Anyway, since this has turned into a Leave it to Beaver thread it cannot be allowed to end withhout mentioning the character of Eddie Haskell as so well played by Ken Osmond. Insincere, sarcastic, selfish, and dishonest - the Eddie character was a real kid in a sugar coated sitcom world. Hearing Eddie say "Hello Mrs Cleaver, you look nice today" is still gold 55 years later.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  5. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

I always thought that June was a little overprotective. She wouldn't be so friendly to Ward when she thought he was a hard on her little Beaver the previous day.

Wally didn't get away with half as much.

I hate to say it, but I kinda agree with Poison about between the lines.....like why the hell else would they show June sitting up on the washer ,etc. - I mean, this was 1958 or so....

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I suppose, they took their scriptwriting as far as they could in keeping it under the church's radar, to the to point where it would have been extremely difficult to explain the entire dialog and body language presented by those naughty TV families and neighbors in Sunday sermons.
    It was almost as if only naughtywise adults could pick up on it. As long as the kids watching couldn't (consciously, anyway) it was tolerated.
    Still, I'd much rather have been born into a TV family like the Cleavers than in later freakshows like the Osmonds or getting adopted by the likes of Bill Bixby and Martian Ray Walston or having Tony Randal as a mom.
    Mercman, I think you created a monster (once again)

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

7. CustomCruiser90

CustomCruiser90 Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to derail the entire thread with my comment. As overdone as the '60 Plymouth was, I always did like the design. I don't recall seeing great lots of them when they were new, or since. I'll mention that the neighbors across the street to the right had a white middle of the line '59 Plymouth wagon in 1962. Plymouth seemed to have the most flair of the 1960 Low Priced Three makes.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I know. There's something enchanting about sitting behind the wheel of all 4 division Mopar vehicles of that era. For me, they're like one's own kids. None of them is preferable over the other. They all get loved equally, in other words

CustomCruiser90 likes this.