The "NotRod" 6spd DGGM '94 Roadmaster Wagon Refurbishment Album

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 81X11, Dec 5, 2018.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    4/26/19 - 6-spd wagon work in progress! Spare tire well and 1/4 panel repair! All metal, seam-sealer used inside and out. Spare well not painted black yet, but almost done. She's looking good!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front roof was also repainted, because the paint has been blended in the past and in direct light you could see the blend line from the old repair.
    [​IMG]

Out of the body shop!
    [​IMG]

Hard to tell here, but spare tire well is now painted black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking Good!

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.
  2. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    5/21/19 - Spent this evening "building" a new door panel for the 6spd Roadmaster wagon. Used the rare lower hard plastic non-cracked panel from my parts stash, combined with the original upper door panel and inner pocket carpet from the cracked original door panel. Lots of work and epoxy but worth it!
    [​IMG]

Removing the cracked original door panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sound-deadening removed from original panel, and good upper panel removed from cracked lower panel.
    [​IMG]

This door panel has been off before. These are the wrong kind of clips for Roadmaster doors. The mount is WAY too small.
    [​IMG]

Door panels dissembled for cleaning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see where the crack started under the power window switch panel on the original lower panel. So typical of these 94-96 Roadmasters. Someone had tried to repair or stop the crack from getting worse. Sadly didn't work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tools for the door panel refurbishment/repair...and yes I used ALL this epoxy for this repair.

[​IMG]

Original upper panel and lower carpet pocket epoxied and clamped to the perfect parts-stash lower panel. I also re-epoxy the wood and door-pull trim on the upper good panel. Want everything to be TIGHT!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I refurbish these panels I reinforce the area known for cracking. This lower panel was still perfect, but I added epoxy to all the area where these develop cracks, and also added this extra black plastic piece to add support to this area. Even still...you never NEVER want to slam the doors of a 94-96 Roadmaster. EVER.
    [​IMG]

Spray-glue added to sound-deadener cloth. Re-installed arm rest pad and sound-deadener. Also note that as-typical the Christmas Tree mounting points on the upper-right and lower left here in the pic were damaged, so I reinforced and epoxied new clips in these locations already, and will let the entire panel dry and set for 24hrs before re-installing on the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the correct Napa Christmas Tree door panel clips for our B-body cars. Part # 665-1107. These are flexable and won't crack like the cheaper Autozone hard-plastic clips.
    [​IMG]

5/21/19 - Refurbishment door panel for the 6spd wagon came out really well! Tight and no more cracks! Will let the epoxy dry really well overnight, install new Christmas Tree clips tomorrow and re-install it after work.
    [​IMG]

No more crack here! I'd had this perfect lower door panel in my attic parts stash for years. Hated to let it go, but the 6spd wagon was crying for it!
    [​IMG]

Refurbished door panel came out really well. Will let it all dry for 24hrs and will re-install with new clips tomorrow evening. These are a good bit of work to rebuild but worth the effort!
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    5/22/19 - Crummy nighttime pic but refurbished door panel is installed. Tight! No cracks. Door closes with a nice solid click...with no after-rattling. It's the little things that make an old car seem younger again!
    [​IMG][/url

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.
  4. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well I had an issue with the '94 Notrod. I went to start it and move it last weekend, and while the backlights for the climate control buttons come on, the actual digital temp readout is totally blank, and no amount of button-pushing would turn it on. I also hear a "burring" sound from under the passenger-side of the dashboard. I was in a rush last night so didn't check it out further. The car itself started right up and everything else seemed fine. SO I read online that taking the battery off would re-set the climate control head. If it comes back on, the control head is failing. Yep. Pulled the battery for a minute, put back on and control head came right to life! Let it sit overnight and it was dead the next day again. Wonderful.

I love doing the same job multiple times... I'd replaced that climate control head with an NOS one when I first started working on this car because all the backlight bulbs behind the buttons were burned out. The NOS controller worked fine until last weekend...when it died. I determined it was dead because all the fuses were fine, and removing the battery cable would bring it back to life for a while.. then it would go blank and shut down again. SO I took the dashboard apart...again...removed the NOS control head, opened its case and stole the bulbs, and installed in NOS bulbs back in the original control head. A/C works great. What fun we have.... Since the dash was apart for the climate control head, I replaced the clutch pedal safety switch, as the car would start without pressing the clutch. Well it will still start without pressing the clutch...but now has a shiny new switch. I. DON'T. KNOW. Beyond that, the car was missing the underdash hush panel, and I'd nabbed one at the salvage yard. Had to notch it out to clear the clutch and brake pedals...thank God for whiz-wheels. Got it installed...looks better than an open hole filled with pedals and wires.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    6/8/19 - 6/11/19 - Spent the ENTIRE last weekend and the past two evenings after work on the 6spd wagon refurbishment. Posting a lot of pics here, but there are even more detailed pics in the public Facebook Album. To break it down, I sanded and re-painted the front bumper black trim, wiper arms, black trim on the door mirrors, the B-pillars, the inner wheel well housings, the roof rack, rear wiper arm, rear window hinges and lift handle, and trailer hitch all in either Semi-Gloss or Satin Black, and painted the upper licence plate trim on the tailgate with Satin Nutmeg. I also replaced the ugly rear wiper blade with a more correct style, removed the corroded extra backup lights that were strapped to the trailer hitch, and installed new plasti-chrome trim on the front bumper. Also while I was under the car I fixed a rattling exhaust heat shield near the fuel tank, and polished the exhaust tips. The car is looking so GREAT!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Those electrofluorescent displays are not well-built. The one in my 2000 Century does the same thing. Drives me nuts...not to mention the same type display is on my odom and gear selector. I'm able to drive the car, so I'm not that concerned yet.
    Anywho, I'm vacationing down here in Seguin with Leadslead and his family for my birthday for a month, so it'd be cool if we could come up with a mini meet-n-greet, as I would love to meet with you and see the wagons.

81X11 likes this.
  7. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Round Rock Cars and Coffee is this Sunday morning and I'm going to have both wagons there. It's a bit of a drive from Seguin, but is always a great free meet! It peaks between 9am-11am Despite what the link says it starts winding down around 11 due to the heat! http://roundtherocktx.com/downtown-round-rock-car-show.html

Oh and if you are in Seguin you NEED to go check out John's Salvage if you have not been. It's AWESOME!

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

We're gonna hit the Pick-n-Nose on Saturday, but we'll hit up John's the next weekend. And we're gonna attempt to be at Cars & Coffee Sunday, with Annie. We'll see you there!

9. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Awesome!

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

So, I just need the actual address/location for the Cars & Coffee, and we'll be set for Sunday.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Our apologies, we didn't make it to the Cars & Coffee this morning--we didn't get in until 2 this morning, and got up around 11

13. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    6/15-16/19 - Spent much of the weekend working on the 6spd wagon.

First, installed the clean replacement 4-note horns, as only ONE of the rusty original horns still worked. We are in "full tugboat" mode now! Nice and loud! WONK-WONK!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also on Saturday I sanded and painted the upper radiator support, hood latch mount, K&N filter housing, and for Brokecello I finally painted the faded flamed/camo headlight and engine covers to semi-gloss black. I'm sure the flames were cool before they faded-out, but everyone kept asking why the car had camouflaged trim under the hood (ha!). It may not be as exciting in black, but it sure looks cleaner to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sunday I did some more cleanup work, replaced the rusty Pennsylvania fender-to-firewall support bars with freshly-painted Texas ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also installed a cap on the repainted trailer hitch...so now that really feels "done" to me.
    [​IMG]

And last added GM emblems to the front door panels...just like the ones I have in my plain white '96 wagon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coming Along!

14. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Pretty cool! Yeah, we stayed way too late at Joe's dad's, which made for a too-late home arrival. Also, there was a question on where it was actually located, so hopefully, that can be clarified so Joe and Ash can show up in Annie. We did go out, hit up a couple HPB's and thrift stores, with the two oldest in the way back, the youngest with Ash in the back seat, and Joe & I up front.

IMG_20190615_163438.jpg