Anybody Feel Sad That FM/AM Radio May Die Out

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by AshTray900, Mar 7, 2019.

1. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I suppose I should give a recommendation to a band here that played 50s and 60s style Rock & Roll; the Flat Duo Jets. They were around from 1983 - 1999 and more recently, 2015 - present (with a different drummer) but they never gained a lot of popularity. However, there are famous musicians who are very fond of them such as Jack White (White Stripes, Rancounters.)

From 2000 - 2014, the singer/guitarist/songwriter Dexter Romweber formed the Dex Romweber Duo with his sister Sarah (recently passed, apparently; R.I.P.) on drums:

2. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Also, there's a group named Squirrel Nut Zippers who played 1930s / 1940s styled songs. They got popular in the 90s.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  3. Dieseltech20

Dieseltech20 New Member

Not really. They are nothing but advertisements with a couple of songs played every hour. The songs of course are always the same few dozen.

A few bucks and sat radio keeps me happy with zero commercials and a couple dozen different songs, lol. I also have a massive CD collection of stuff I want to hear that keeps me entertained :)

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  4. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

Well... I'd feel sad if radio was the way it was... But we lost all that a long time ago... Theres no independent stations anymore, its all owned by 6 media corporations, compared to 50 in the 1980s.
    I think its inevitable it will die, its not popular because its boring, a 60's, 70's, and 80's station plays the same songs over and over... The DJ's arent exciting or have a unique personality anymore.
    I could go on and on but i wont.
    Heres an article about being owned by only 6 corporations...
    https://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

Also makes you wonder how much more we can be influenced by not having independent sources anymore.

Dieseltech20 likes this.
  5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I think, they deliberately make radio unattractive, so that they can impose total digital communication on us. A couple weeks ago, I happened to notice the last telephone cabin in our area has been quietly removed and an SOS tower without any cover for weather has been put in its place. Nowhere was the replacement announced. When they do things like this, "the cost of maintenance" is always the excuse, despite the analog phone seldom caming into use. Another excuse is "terrorism". Since, bomb threats and conspiratorial conversation are much harder to trace, when done on analog devices. If they would stop letting in terrorists, they would have no more excuses for taking away more of our rights

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Dick Dale, a reknown surf guitarist recently kicked:

[​IMG]

John McGeoch was one of my favorites. He was a modest version of a Jimmy Page

Lu Edmonds does a great job of interpreting McGeoch's style. Like McGeoch, Edmonds looks like he could play anything with strings of which he gets his hands on. Even an electric Balaika:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019