Interior opera lights. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by zzzizxz, Nov 8, 2016.

1. zzzizxz

zzzizxz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm considering installing some opera lights on the interior of my 81 bonneville safari.

The single dome light just doesn't provide enough lighting when trying to get the kids buckled in their car seats at night.
    I was thinking of buying some opera lights and installing them on the trim just behind the rear doors, and wiring them to the dome light, such that they only turn on when the doors are open.

Especially with LED bulbs, the power draw would be minimal, and would provide some much needed extra lighting.

Another thought I had was to get another dome light combo and install it just behind the rear seats at the junction between the front and rear headliner panels.

Has anyone done anything similar to either of these options, and what were your results, good or bad?

Has anyone done anything else to have more light inside your wagon?

Thanks!

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Shouldn't be too hard......
    Reminds me I need to do something about the dome light issue. My Safari arrived in Oregon sans a dome light lens, so I removed the bulb until I could get another. Four years later.....still haven't done that. I was meaning to do a salvage yard run and find one from another GM vehicle that has individual dome lamp / reading lamp switches. Shouldn't be too difficult to find something that works. You just need to find 2 matching ones. There's a roof cross member right above the second seat-back, I think.

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My Fairmont wagon came with 2 wimpy dome lights. The one at the back was already cracked. I did a junkyard run, and found 2 1980's Mercury Marquis with (Ford LTD is the same) with nice dome/map lights (switched for each side) and used the same wiring. Had to trim the headliner a bit with an exacto knife and drill for a ground screw. I painted them with a matching colour. Now I can even see my shadow! ;)

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    How about a set of rear armrest courtesy lamps from a '67 Olds 98 convertible?:

[​IMG]