A confession

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Grizz, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I ve learned to not take myself so seriously, in doing so I've created a habit of self degradation in order to make light of my stupid mistakes. Beats the heck out of losing sleep over spilt milk, so here goes! I recently gave a much needed restoration to my crusty ol wheels on the cp. it took longer than I thought...3 1/2 weeks longer to be exact. Anyways the wagon was on stands in the car port by the kitchen window so long I couldn't stand looking at the tired old brakes any longer so I did front pads/rotors/wheel bearings and added new drums on the back. The car sat with new brakes about 4 weeks before I gave the fresh wheels their inaugural run. I got in, started the car, pumped the brakes and pulled around to the trash cans to clean out the leftovers from the brake job. I set the parking brake as my driveway is on a hill, left the ol girl idling and disposed of the trash. I got back in the car and my plan was to just drive the neighborhood to test the brakes, park it and let the clear coat on the wheels set up a little more. I put the wagon in drive and away we went. I noticed right away that there was a tad bit Of a drag in power, "ok I think, she's just warming up after 4 weeks of downtime, used to have an erratic idle until I cleaned the I.a.c. It's still there but not half as bad. Anyway, I started smelling a burning, I figure an oil leak I didn't know about that has been allowed to build up after setting a while. Then I'm thinking its definitely not oil, its just that brand new brake smell, buuuuut it's rather strong. I pull over at a park to give everything the once over. All is well in the front, rotors looks good, left rear looks fine, ok, right rear? Well, I'll be derned if it's not Smoking like a hippie high up in the Himalayas. I calmly waved to the nice spectators, climbed back in the wagon, RELEASED THE PARKING BRAKE, and drove straight to the beer store. I guess in all my excitement to be back in the wagon after towing kids in the wife's Camry for 4 weeks got the better of me! Glad to get it off my chest. Now I'll sleep tonight. Ok...hurl your insults people!!!!

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Hey we all have made that mistake at least once. Now next time drop a boat anchor out of the rear to stop it instead of the parking brakes.

Grizz likes this.
  3. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Doesn't your parking brake automatically release when you shift out of park? It should if the system is working properly.

4. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Oo! oo! that smell, can't you smell that smell!...

Grizz likes this.
  5. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I am not sure on this. It has a release lever and a foot lever, buuut the car did roll down the hill once put in drive with no gas sooooo. I'll check the manual. I figured I would just need to tighten it up? After consulting the manual.....you be correct! Now instead of adjust the parking brake, I'll figure out why the "brake" and "high-beam " indicator lights are not lighting! Thanks Kev, there is a special feeling when someone tells you something you didn't know about your own vehicle. It's the same feeling when someone tells you what color underwear you have on!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    fannie likes this.
  6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Come in, sit down, and tell me what's on your mind my son.

I was going to comment but now it's difficult to know if this was a mechanical error or driver error. I'll just say leaving the parking brake on is stupid and I've never ever done such a thing...................................... :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

By the way, I don't wear underwear.:yikes:

Grizz and wagoninsane like this.
  7. Roadking41A

TMI TMI

fannie likes this.
  8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    TWIT!

9. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It can actually be more awkward when one does this same thing on the driver's test...just sayin...:oops:

Grizz likes this.
  10. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz I love it! the parking brake should release when you shift past over drive and into drive, will not release in OD. and by the way when I was having starter problems I took the battery to get checked and in MY excitement when I put it back in I hooked the terminals backwards - oops!
    and don't feel bad - I keep reaching for the brake release!
    and it's not you - it was your parents fault - at least that's my excuse.

ModelT1 and Grizz like this.
  11. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Funny you should say that. :DI'd never ever taken a legal Illinois state driver test. In H.S. some one was at the school to sign the paper. To get my CDL for semi trucks a company instructor was there. But in Florida I did take a driving test. I still wore glasses and didn't need a cane to get in the car.:watching:

Back in Illinois to take my driving test I had to call my oldest son to find the emergency brake release on the Impala. In over a year I'd never used it. I never do on flat ground like at home or Box World.
    But just in case I figured I'd better set the emergency before going in for my written test. That way the instructor would see I use it all the time!
    Now that I knew it was self release I don't even think the instruction lady looked. I had dazzled her with missing only one simple test question after not even looking at an Illinois hand book . That and she was confused that I moved from Florida to take an Illinois driving test in January!:huh:

I figured I hadn't killed anyone or gotten arrested for driving on side walks in over 50 years so I must been doing something right. I was amazed how far she made me drive and everything I had to do. I even turned, put my right arm on the seat back, and looked out the rear window when backing............. Which is stupid. Normally I use the inside and outside mirrors. That's what they are for but according to law you look back. My kids use their stupid back up camera.

I still drive a fairly primitive car. It don't have auto lane weave, back up warning, or you are about to hit the bus in front of you warning. I have to do all that myself while I text, lite a cigarette, comb my hair, wave at girls, read my I-Pod and drink my Pepsi.

Yes I did set the brake again when we parked at the DMV and it released when I left. They are making cars idiot proof for a reason!:biglaugh:

Roadking41A, Grizz and wagoninsane like this.
  12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Sometimes, the auto release doesn't work, for various reasons. On my '83, someone had removed the vacuum can that pulls the release, and had also undone the vacuum line from the valve that controls the vacuum can, so in addition to manually releasing the brakes, I'm sure there was a vacuum leak off that supply line.

13. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Use a brick behind or in front of a tire.
    You know right away if you haven't released the parking brake when you try to move.:D

Grizz and fannie like this.
  14. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Dat was gonna be my next question. Ya'll can usually answer quicker that in it takes me to mosey on down and consult the manual. I got no vacuum leaks so I'm not real concerned. I got bigger fish to fry. Which reminds me... I do have a vacuum leak, but it coming from the brake booster every time I depress the pedal. It's not bad, but I'm sure it will get worse. Brakes are working fine. For now... if I remember correctly when I buy the booster, for warranty purposes they also want me to buy a master cylinder? Is this necessary?

15. Roadking41A

It depends on where you buy at. I get mine from O'Reillys they usually sell it separate