Tire/wheel question 79 Olds Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Tailfinsandmuscle, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Tailfinsandmuscle

Tailfinsandmuscle New Member

Just re acquired a 79 Custom Cruiser that I bought 15 years ago from an estate sale. This time I'm keeping it. I'd like to do a hot rod thing or two so my question is, can anyone give me some advise on a 20-18 wheel tire combo? Thanks in advance and pics would be great!

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I wouldn't recommend going larger than 18" in these box wagons. Also, keep in mind that these were designed in a period when zero or some positive offset was engineered in, not like today's vehicles that are virtually all negative offset.

Your wheel bolt pattern is 5x5"

3. Tailfinsandmuscle

Actually, 18x8 and 17x7 was my first thoughts. yep 5 on 5 pattern, same as trucks and no late model stuff. I can measure backspace and offset for the wheels but still not so sure about tire size. Hoping some on here had been there, done that. Thanks for responding, muscle cars and old stuff I know about. This is new to me, but think it will be cool

4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Tire fitment is the same whether it's a muscle car or a 1979 wagon...

Also, WHEEL diameter is irrelevant. TIRE diameter and width are what you care about. Stock tires were 225/75-15, which are about 28.3" in diameter. I ran 235/70-15s (right at 28" dia) on my 84 CC with no issues whatsoever. The rears could have gone somewhat wider. If you can get them, 235/55-18s are just about 28.2" in diameter and should fit nicely. Wheel offset needs to be as close to zero as possible.

5. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

All I know is be careful with Big wheel and Low Profile tires on these cars, When I bought my Old 78 Impala the previous owner had installed 18" Torque Trust II's with low profile tires. The car rode like absolute Crap with those wheels and tires. You felt every expansion joint in the pavement, and if I hit an actual pot hole my backside and back would ache for days!!!!! When I installed a set of 15" steel wheels with R15-255's they still filled up the wells, and the car then rode fantastic.
    My Impala with the Torque Thrust II's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and with the Dog Dish's

Attached Files:

6. Tailfinsandmuscle

Nice car! Well I don't want it to ride like a 2 horse wagon, and hate the "rubber band" tires, but hoping I can get a combo and fall somewhere in the middle. Been looking at some of the original cars on site and really like them but do want to sport it up some. 255/60 18 in 30 inches tall and 255/60 17 is 29.1 inches tall. If it all fits I should have enough sidewall for the ride. Thoughts? Oh love the Vega wagon....had a few

7. roketrex

roketrex Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I went to 235/70/15 on the front and 275/60/15 on the rear on my 77 Catalina. I went the cheap rim route by using pick-up truck 15x8 on the rear and van rims on the front which measure 15x7. The only pictures I took were before it was repainted and are a little on the dark side but are in Pontiac wagon section.

8. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You're going 1" - 2" taller than original. That could be cutting it close. I'm not an expert on box wagons, so I can't say for sure. You probably won't have an issue with the rears. The potential for problems will be up front when turning your wheels, and the possibility of hitting/rubbing your fenders or suspension. You'll need to be very accurate with your measurements and wheel offset. Or find people who have tried those sizes, and know from experience. Good luck!

9. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I know my wagon isn't the same as yours, but the concept is similar. My original tire size was the same as yours, 225-75-15. I went with staggered 17" wheels, 17x8 on the front, 17x9 on the rear. Front tires are 245-55-17. Rear tires are 275-55-17. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

10. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    275/40-18 on an 18X9 wheel 5 inch backspace and a 1 inch spacer on the rear.
    [​IMG]

11. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Picture 003.jpg I went from 15" on the Fury to 17" They look fantastic, though I do wish the tire had a little more sidewall (but they came mounted on the wheels, so hey, beggars can't be choosers)

I have to agree with cammerjeff on the ride quality.

I also have to agree with n2fordmuscle, the front is where you will run into problems. I had all sorts of rubbing issues when I first installed the 17" wheels.

12. 78wagon

78wagon Member

still own this car is that pa tags?

13. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

No I Sold it to my Sister about 6 years ago, the Tags on it in those pictures are MI Classic Car Tags

78wagon likes this.