Roller Paint Job Diary

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Stormin' Norman, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    They don't use salt with Tequila. Straight up. The best is from the state of Jalisco, where tequila started from the Agave plant. So smooth. Like malted scotch. Nummers. You can sip that down for hours, but don't get up in a hurry. And still walk out of the cantina without wobbling. Some squeeze in a bit of sweet lima. You'll never see that north of Mexico. Nice, small green citric fruit, from the Lemon family. Great flavour when we made fruit cakes down there. One recipe makes 3 cakes (AKA door stoppers?).

My wife and her best friend would get together and clean enough peels (to Candy them) of Grapefruit, Oranges, Lemons, and those limas, for 9 cakes. Her hubby and I would go out to tune up our cars and hear them laughing their heads off! Ah, but the fruit would be candied, and soak for 3 months in Dark (1867) Bacardi rum. I'd make the molasses from Mexican pilloncillo (dark cane sugar), 1 tbs of baking soda, and 2 cups of the same rum. You can't find molasses in Mexico. They make their own. I swear those cakes were 40 proof! and hardly any flour in them, just enough to hold all the drunk fruit in! Like 1 cup per long cake block. Cherries, apricots or dates, citric fruit, nuts, and lots of ZING! We just pulled the last one out of the freezer, and its still drunk as a skunk! :biglaugh:

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe I'd like that kind of fruit cake. I remember eating candied peels from citrus. Heck when we were kids we ate orange peels anyway. We were poor. It was eat orange peels or share the hay with the horses. :yup:
    Any fruit cake I've had lately has been used to chock the tires when I trailer an old car or when I didn't have concrete blocks to get it high enough to roller paint it.
    .:Nothing_funny_to_ad:nohijacking:

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I hi-jack my threads all the time! :rofl2:
    PastelFrutas2010_03.jpg

There it is, for 9 cakes. One bowl of batter, and one of candied, very drunk fruit.

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    One last thing. My wife comes from a 9 kid family in North East Mexico. All of them have at least one degree, 6 girls, 3 boys. She's the middle child, her baby sister is 38. Of all of them, only 3 of the girls bake or cook, and only one son-in-law cooks any meat dishes.

Well, mine is on a cooking/baking binge. She loves it. I've seen her become more aware of what spices combine and which ones can't be combined. My mother made sure we knew how to cook and I learned how to bake pretty good, but the kitchen is her workshop and mine is mine. I don't even suggest a 'better' way. Unless I want to sing soprano. :rofl2:

Anyway, now she's got her birthday coming up, and I got here some Julia Child recipe books, and links to the Julia's TV series at PBS and Youtube. The DVD sets don't cover the entire 100 plus series shows from way back in the 60s and 70s. I figured she'd enjoy this new Spring/Summer work season more in one of her hobbies, while I get the car done, and the renos back on track.

We're gonna need our grocery getter even more! :tiphat:

5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Home Cookin

Well since you hijacked your own thread I'll go on. But I rarely get off topic!:rofl2:
    All three of my sons and our daughter are good cooks. Even our daughter's husband does pretty good. He even makes beer. I like Dave! My younger brother also cooks as does my wife. She loves to bake.
    Me, I eat!:p Between my jobs and hobbies I just never had the time or need to cook. However I just made myself a homemade beef pot pie for lunch. I removed the little round thing from the freezer, laid it in the microwave on a paper towel, hit 5:00 and listened for the beeper!
    :banana:

6. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

Denny,, could you elaborate little more..
    I am not understanding all the steps as you outlined....

:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

7. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    However I just made myself a homemade beef pot pie for lunch. I removed the little round thing from the freezer, laid it in the microwave on a paper towel, hit 5:00 and listened for the beeper!
    :banana:

I'd have to get the cardboard box out of the garbage and review the complicated directions. So in a way I lied. The little round thing the frozen pot pie was in was actually in a little square cardboard box in the freezer. I don't know why they didn't use a round box.
    Our new microwave has a lot more bells and whistles than the old one so I do get confused. The box directions say something like 4 minutes but five does a more professional job. I learn a lot of these valuable tips from the Yelp site and Diners and Dives, whatever.
    Dollie gets upset when things drip and ooz all over the round glass thingie that goes round and round so I use Bounty brand paper towels when I cook.
    She also gets upset when the smoke alarm goes off a lot or I run out of water in the pan when I try to boil it on the range. I have learned from experience that if I ruin a lot of items in the kitchen and leave it messy I rarely get asked to prepare these delicate meals. :drink:
    Bon ape'tit'. Julia Child beware.

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Thought I'd bump this, before the Wagon Chefs keep flap-jacking it! :biglaugh::evilsmile:

I've always been an "eye-of-the-tiger" type. I stay on the hunt for victory until I get it. So the bodywork has taken a backseat, for my DANA 44 Trac-Lok hunt. I had to do a lot of digging to find DANA 44 info in Latin America (Brazil, Venezuela, Columbia plants). When DANA finished buying out the Latin American competition, they failed to include all the axle and differential info, on the millions of vehicles they built and sold down there. Once I got the info, I also learned that Ford wouldn't allow DANA to publish any info on the different forms of Limited Slip Differentials that DANA had made for them. Chrysler, GM and AMC did likewise. So even DANA's site was useless, except for specific part numbers (Ring and Pinion, Bearings, Shims, Seals)

After I get the axle, and rear suspension back in this week, I've got to finish up the header construction, then finish welding up the engine/rad core supports, and move onto the body.

My whole Axle Trilogy in my Unobtainium thread here, with part numbers and sources. The next one I buy in Mexico, I'll get all the parts locally. Much simpler.

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34819

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Bumping once more.

We're in the warmest winter for decades, and I'm still assembling the wagon to drive until late June, when I'll do the bodywork and final 2-tone paint job with a pearlescent finish.

I tucked my bumpers front and back, swapped in the 4-speed stick shift, had my stock DANA 44 8.5 rearend tweaked with Ford Mexico's Trac-Lok posi. New AC compressor and dryer. New rear sway bar from a Fairmont cop car. New springs, struts, shock absorbers, and all the stock spring isolators (rubber pads), new windshield, newer tailgate.

Hope to get the doors reassembled, all the engine components and new exhaust with my custom headers installed. I'm shooting for the end of January to start her up. Then I'll post the pics that I've taken during this stage.

10. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, Norman, you've been busy! Great to hear from you.

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I arose again! From under the car!:biglaugh:

It's been a long time since my last confession... :biglaugh:

Fairmonts, in fact most Fords from the '70s and '80s extended the bumpers beyond the body. The opposite is called 'Tucking". You won't see the full effect yet, but on the Fairmonts, its quite easy. The bumper extension is a 1.75 tube with a collapsible section to handle parking lot speed collisions. My Mexican baby, didn't get that kind. It got solid 1/4" thick steel tube. All I had to do was pull them out and redrill them 2.5" forward, then reinstall them. BUT, since my condenser wasn't on when I did it, I forgot about allowing for space. I am one lucky puppy. It just fits!
    AC_Tucked_Bumper_1.jpg

AC_Tucked_Bumper_2.jpg AC_Tucked_Bumper_3.jpg

AC_Tucked_Bumper_4.jpg

Since I'm not a good contorsionist, the thought of filling my new 4 speed from under the car with new gear oil was an inspiration for this new forgotten option. A hole in the side of the trans tunnel, plugged with a 3/4" rubber floor plug:
    NewFoxSRODOption_1.jpg

Its above the trans plug, at about a 40 degree angle, and 6 inches below the tunnel. The gear lube comes in pourable plastic bottles with a long snout, so I just use a hose to connect to the tranny plug and fill from inside the car.

All the engine components are installed. Carb, Header, new fuel pump, coil, temp and oil gauge sensors, and electric choke sender as well as a new AC compressor and alternator.

I can now concentrate on the electrical, and vacuum lines. and reinstall the interior.

I did a spray can paint job, and repaired the floor and body patches. I'll paint the car with the fancy pearl later this summer. I need the car to haul out the donor scrap, and put in a small garden, and, and, and...

12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The Swiss have so much money of which they don't know what to do with it. They don't need rollers. They have enough in their budget to get every kid an arsenal of spray cans :

https://www.lestroisrois.com/de/basel-events/the-bentley-project#

[​IMG]