So what makes a car show good?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by fannie, Apr 24, 2015.

1. shelby18

shelby18 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    If you have some folks in your group that will let people to get into their cars for pictures, I've found that helps. I'm always invited back to those shows because I allow it. If you have room, set it aside and have a back drop in the back ground. (This is something I've been thinking of for future shows.)

Oh, remember to have something to boost up the small kids so you can see them.

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

OMG....now I'm in agreement with Cat!:49:

Most boring car show I have ever attended was a lot of years back out here. some 200 plus all fiber glass reproduction 34(?) fords from all over the states and Canada, all hot roded, all fiberglass. All nice, all different, yet all the same, it got boring real fast. I'll never attend another "just this 1 type of car, car show" ever again.

3. sawdy

sawdy New Member

I think if I was doing a C-show I'd run one from 9:00AM to 2:00pm! After 2 most folks are ready to head home. You have there show money and lunch money , it's hot and most people have to drive 30 to 50 miles. Every body is 10- 4 back door & A-OK !!! Dennis

4. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Haha. Yes, I agree here. I like pre 1968 Corvettes but would never attend a Corvette show cause there is just no variety. As a Mopar guy, you would think I would want to attend a "Winged Warriors" show for Superbirds and Daytonas. No thanks. Once you've seen a Superbird in each of the seven or so colors they were available in, whats the point? I wouldn't want to go to a show that is nothing but Mustangs either.

While I do like variety, I prefer not to see the newer stuff at shows. I can see that stuff on a dealer lot or parked around a shopping mall. I prefer to keep it limited to vehicles at least 20 years old. Single marque shows like all Ford or all Chrysler are cool as long as its not also restricted to a single model like Corvettes. I like variety, but prefer restored stock and untouched survivors to modified or custom cars and I really don't like rat rods much. Still I expect to see rat rods and modified cars at the shows and they do add variety and make things more universally appealing. Just hate seeing the newer stuff.

As for all the extras that make a good show, clean restroom facilities and a good food vendor or two are important. Otherwise people will leave the show for one or the other and might not return. Music is okay if its not so loud that its intrusive and if there is enough variety to not offend everyone at once. Worst show I attended had a live bluegrass band. I can handle bluegrass for a short time, but this was the entire show and it was so loud you couldn't have a conversation. After a while several of us left to get away from the music. The music literally drove half the show participants away before the show had been going much more than an hour.

Oh, and if the food vendors are cooking, make sure they are far enough away from the show cars. Went to a show once where the vendors were cooking and the first couple rows of cars got grease drippings all over them from the smoke.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  5. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    The local Cars-n-Coffee events (1st and 3rd Saturdays, from 0730 - 1100) are what I like. Short events, NO entry fees, judging, door prizes or any of that. Just cars and trucks of ALL kinds. Period. The first Saturday is probably the largest car show in the city, with over 800 at the last one, and this one is held the first Saturday, rain or shine, twelve months out of the year. The second is a smaller event with 80 - 100 cars and trucks. No bikes at all - they have plenty of their own car-and-truck-free events! Show up, hang out, look at the cars, and leave when it suits you. Too easy.

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Car Show Stuff

As I read the updated info on this topic a few things stood out. And yes I do agree with almost everything written.
    Which scares me with the first new comment I read that Tedy agrees with me!:slap: But smart minds think alike!
    Also I'd bet those fibreglas Fords were 32's. Seems like every car guy loves a 32 Ford or should. Personally I do like them but there are many other model years I like more, 39 and 40 Fords especially.
    But back the topic. There's another DENNIS in here!
    Now back on topic! When we first moved to Florida the classic Chevy club I belonged to only had 55-57 Chevys and Vettes and I was happy with that. Before this we lived within 50 miles of where Bloomington Gold Corvette shows were held. Ours was an orange 1977 Vette. Thank goodness. I always wanted a red one but there must have been 1000 red Corvettes there. Also because I owned and loved the early Mustangs we still attended a few Mustang only shows.
    As stated, it doesn't take long after walking down rows of one type vehicles to get sick and tired of them.
    I agreee variety is the spice of life. I've always wanted to swap wives. But mine does not like variety! She thinks she owns me.
    This leaves the following.... clean restroom facilities and a good food vendor or two are important........ I agree and they do seem to go hand in hand!:rofl2:

7. Jim 68cuda

I agree. Free is good. There are only two or three shows a year that I will pay to enter my car in (Carlisle Chrysler show, an event at a drag strip with racing, and a huge AACA show). As for all the other shows, I always felt that the spectators should pay and the people who bring cars to put in the show should be paid to bring them if there was going to be money changing hands at all. Meanwhile I take my cars to cruise ins and cars and coffee events for free every weekend. Our local Chrysler car club puts on shows at Chrysler Dodge dealers around the area, and there is no charge to enter. The dealers pick up the tab and even provide lunch for those who enter their cars in the show.

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I believe as car entry fees increased more car owners felt the same way. I can't remember the last show we paid to show you our car. Often you also paid to look at my car.
    The larger shows it's worth paying to get a front row seat, the vendors, food, and many cars to view. Even those are getting too expensive.

I forgot one good point mentioned, the kids. My wife used to make little thingies of plastic webbing in the shape of cars and other trinkets with some sort of beads. She'd give those to kids who were interested in our car. Usually the station wagon or old yeller Ford. We always asked if the kids....and pretty mommys...would like to sit inside for pictures. If you are afraid a preteen will hurt your car sitting in it you should stay home and lock it in the garage.
    It's the kids who are the future of this hobby.

9. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Our car show "The Flaunt and Flash" runs from 9-3:00. Although if the weather is perfect we have registered cars at 8:00. I try to start giving out the trophies at 2:30 so that folks are on their way by 3:00.
    The car show is held in a three tiered parking lot with a large rounded cul de sac at the top of the hill kinda like an E shape. At the bottom of the hill I have a table for guest/spectators to pick up and drop off a ballot to vote on the cars/trucks. The ballots are divided in to six catagories by year of car or turck and a fan favorite for the guest to vote on. We tally up the votes and give out trophies accordingly. There is no charge for car owners or spectators.
    We usually have a 50/50 draw for the fire fighters. Madd Canada is usually on site. This year I'm hoping to have the local vet set up a table/booth featuring travelling with man's best friend in the car. I have also been approached by a couple from BC who are driving their old truck, fund raising across Canada raising money for ALS. Pretty cool.

I like the idea about having pictures taken in a few of the cars. Thanks shelby18 something to think about.

All great input. (y)

10. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Open shows for the uneducated can have negative results too. I was parked at the Woodward Dream Cruise 'bout 10 years ago and this "Lady" with her maybe 3 year old kid in a stroller runs the kid right up making contact with the passenger fender of the Batwagon and junior starts trying to walk up the fender with his little sneakers. This happened in less then the 10 seconds it took me to get to the "lady" and ask her for her check for a $1000 to refinish and repaint my fender. We did not part friends that afternoon. Some folks just have no clue what it costs to make a car look all pretty again when it's been on the planet for more then 50 years. I think they think the cost of new cars has everything to do with their new and improved GPS so they can find their way to work every day. Sorry for the rant friends. Those scratches were through the clear coat and well into the Metallic custom blend, and this long roof has never been or will be a Trailer Queen Jer

11. Bigbarneycars

Wagon Garage:
    For the record that incident took place the day the pix were taken that my-our friend Marshall...AKA KRASH KADILAC helped me post of the Batwagon on this site way back when, Jer

12. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Another thing I intently dislike about car shows is the judging. If I pay to enter a car show, why am I being asked to judge cars; aka "participant judging"??? I'm there to kick back, look at the cars and trucks, and imbibe in an adult beverage (where permitted). I do like judged shows where a team of guys come around and look at the vehicles, but where I do not like that is where they'll take modified/custom cars and class them with original/restored cars.

If I go to a show where there is participant judging, I'll line through every entry on my sheet and turn it in that way. I'm there to enjoy, not do the show sponsor/operator's job for them without consideration. "Popular judging" is garbage, too. If a guy show up with his buddies, he wins; even if he has a real POS. I caught a kid trying to win that way in a show we had years ago. He had a pretty trashed '78 Camaro. He managed to get a bunch of voting sheets for "Participant Favorite" and tried to stuff the ballot. It was obvious, as all had HIS handwriting on them; close to 30 ballots! So, when we counted and caught this, we did not say a word. But, when we were ready to announce the winner, he was already on his way up to the front when we announced the REAL winner! You should've seen the look on his face! He suddenly knew that WE knew what he was up to, and dared not say a word about, lest he get his punk a$$ kicked seven ways to Sunday!

13. Jim 68cuda

That explains the flames in your profile picture. It was your head exploding as you watched the kid scratch your car.

14. Bigbarneycars

Wagon Garage:
    LOL, Close Jim. I'll be in my Amigo at Carlisle this year and NOOOOO the 'lectric cord is not that long:D What Treasure will you be bringing this year? My Maxi Van will haul the Amigo and more then enough St Pauli Girl for me and all my Friends. See yeah Friend, Jer

15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Flaunting and griping

Our car show "The Flaunt and Flash":biglaugh:

Oh that kind of show! Then I retract the message about kids. No kids should be allowed at a "Flaunt and Flash"event!:rofl2:

I agree with Bigbarney on the young mommys who let kids climb up to look in door windows or get mommy or daddy to lay them over the fender to see the pretty engine!
    Another gripe of mine are those teens riding bicycles thru the car show.:slap:

Putting on car shows is not easy.... But it's fun.