Just arrived 1963 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon - Questions

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by logic2, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Looks like you're getting this sewn up pretty good. I'm not a MOPAR guy but I do have a couple older books, so in the Motor manual I have, it says you have to unscrew the 'bezel nut' to be able to drop out the switch with the lock cylinder from the dash, then unplug it. Since yours has A/C, you might also have to remove a duct to access it.

2. logic2

logic2 New Member

Thank You, I'll give that a try.

3. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The '63 ignition switch is a 5 tumbler switch. Mother Mopar changed to a 6 tumbler switch in '68 but it will plug right into the '63 ignition harness. Read here that the 6 tumbler key is longer and will fit the key slot of a 5 tumbler ignition but is very difficult to shorten to the proper length. Your options are two: find a proper 5 tumbler ignition Late '50s to '68 and a good lock smith to re-key it to match your doors and T-Gate or go with the later one and carry two keys. One for the ignition and another one for the doors and T-Gate, Jer

4. logic2

logic2 New Member

Thanks
    I'll be on the lookout for a 5 tumbler ignition.
    (y)

5. just me

just me Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The window relay is probably behind the driver side kickpanel (possibly the passenger kickpanel) but I'm not sure about that year.

6. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    -Brake lines are available from O'Reillys for $20.99 each (fronts) and $9.99 each (rears). NAPA has them, too. You'll probably have to bend your own hardlines.

-Disc brakes were not an option in 1963. You'll have to do some measuring and see what you can fit. The 1973 full-size Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth brakes are a popular swap to install discs on pre-'72 big cars, but I don't know if this applies to the '63 cars.

-The circuit breaker for the windows should be in the kick panel on the driver's side. There is a red wire coming off that, according to the '66 FSM (very similar wiring scheme in both cars).

-Your ignition switch question was answered well.

Again, I urge you to go to the C-Bodies Only forum at www.cbodiesonly.com and you are pretty much guaranteed to get the right answers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  7. martyk98

martyk98 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Unless you're going for a show car, might I suggest cutting the existing floors 1/4 inch less that the replacement pans. drill holes in the replacements and weld together. Saves a lot of time. If you have a friend with a bead roller, you can get them to fit perfectly flush. Ignition switches are notorious for being in hard to reach places, yours is not immune. As far as brakes go, I'm sure someone has done this before and posted it. My 64 Ford wagon accepted 72 T Bird front discs. Another route is to pony up and call someone like Kanter Products that might have a conversion kit ready to go--new. Their kit for my 56 Lincoln Mark II fit perfectly and was fast and easy to swap out. Looks like you could use a service manual to find your fuses. Marty

8. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage: