Proper routing of rear exhaust of 71-76 GM full-size wagon

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 72KingswoodEstate, Nov 22, 2014.

1. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the additional replies. Well it is clear that it is properly routed, but they clearly did not bend the pipe down as much as they were supposed to. Despite it leaking oil from the rear main seal and blowing oil back on the exhaust, I am going to attempt to drive it to the muffler shop on Friday to get this taken care of. If it isn't one thing, it is another.

Thanks.

2. chevygod

chevygod Well-Known Member

If it always worked perfectly, everyone would be driving these things, and your's would no longer be special.

Me, I have been willing to pay the price for years so I can drive sometinge other than an appliance. Appliances bore me.

You'll get it fixed, and be able to help others when they have problems with their B-body wagon exhaust. And they will look upon you like a true master.

Good luck,
    Tom

3. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks again for these pics. I had planned on taking my wagon back to the muffler shop today to have these repairs made, then it dawned on me that my mechanic is going to have the replace the rear seal on my engine within the next few weeks and using the same lift and I am not sure I am so quick to have it broken loose again, incase they do not do it correctly again (despite knowing what needs to be done). I plan however to print this page and take it with me so they can see what is needed to be done. It has a one year warranty, so I have until June-July to get it back out there. I want to show it to my mechanic too, because he was determined that it was supposed to run above the axle. lol.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

4. chevygod

chevygod Well-Known Member

I hope you can get this resolved.

One other thought I had on this, is do you have the correct rear shocks? If the shock is not the correct length fully extended (too long), the rear axle will droop too low and will hit the pipe(s). This may be part of the problem as well, especially if the aftermarket is suggesting a standard shock to fit many applications, but it really isn't correct for all of them.

Just a thought.

Good luck,
    Tom

5. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure exactly. The car originally came with the towing package. The car did have air shocks on it, but they have became so firm (had frozen up), the back of the car would no longer push down. I went online and purchased some Monroe Sensa-Tracs that were supposed to be for my car. They seem to have worked fine. The same shop actually installed them.

Thanks.