Fury Fuse Box

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Rusty1, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi,
    I am trying to fix an electrical gremlin with my 1973 Plymouth Fury Sport Suburban Station Wagon, (see http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33604). I need to check out what fuse protects what circuit. There is no cover for the fuse box to tell me anything and I can't find the information on the web. Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Rusty 1

2. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

whats the particular problem?

3. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Now you're asking.......

Hi,
    Thank you for our response! The issue I am currently trying to work on is that I have no dash lights. When the headlights are on there are none lit. I have replaced the bulbs that are above the dash, (which seem to shine through blue filters), but no luck. I have got the light on the steering column that illuminates the key to work. Yesterday I found one fuse had blown, 20amp, on the bottom of the fuse box. I couldn't get another 20 so I have replaced it with a 15 as a temporary measure. There is the edge of a wheel that protrudes from the dash towards the bottom right hand side and I'm guessing that this might be a dimmer for the lights but it does not seem to have any effect.
    Thanks again! Any suggestions gratefully received!
    Rusty1

4. WagonKiller

that wheel probably is a dash dimmer did you check it on both sides with a tester? (if you can) also may not hurt to pull all fuses one at a time and make sure they are still ok and getting a good connection in the box'

I have had a simple mild light rust buildup on the tangs they sit in keep them from getting a good connection. also when you have them out inspect them well. they can un-attach themselves on the ends(contacts) where they are covered by the end cap conductors, and you will never see that.

Lol ya have to remember they are OLD

5. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank You

Hi,
    Thank you for your suggestions - I'll look into it. Yep - they are old, I know how they feel.
    Rusty1

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I agree with the killer. First replace all of those fuses. At least you will eliminate one problem source. Possibly the light switch itself has corrosion, loose connection, or is bad. Your tester is your best friend.

7. dodgeguy

dodgeguy Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The dash lights and tail lights are on the same fuse. If the tail lights work, the light switch is probably bad.

8. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestion - I'll look into it.

9. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Also, as the dimmers get old the rheostat windings and the contact can get corroded and cause the dash lights to fail.

If you have power going into the light switch (after the fuse replacement), but still have no dash lights, try using a good, spray-on contact cleaner (I like Radio Shack De-Oxit Gold or CRC contact cleaner) to clean the corrosion from the interior light dimmer switch contacts.
    Disconnect the battery (or at least pull the appropriate fuse) before using the cleaner.

10. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you.

Hi,
    Thank you for your suggestions, help and advice. Yesterday I replaced the 15amp fuse with the correct 20amp. (See earlier post). The headlights and side lights all continue to work correctly but still no dash lights. I also had a go at trying to remove the dash to get at the back of the light switch. I removed lots of screws but the dash panel wouldn't budge so I guess there are still fixings holding it in place somewhere. I'll have another go in a few days or maybe I'll take it to a local mechanic I know. He's done work on my VWs in the past but I'm not sure what he'll think when I turn up with the big Plymouth!
    Once again, thank you.
    Rusty1

11. WagonKiller

I had to redo a few of the straight post connections on my 68 Monaco wagon a few years back. On the dash assembly itself because of probs

it was NOT easy lol thankfully I am crafty

12. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not Crafty!

Hi,
    Thank you for your comment. At least I am not alone! Since an earlier post I have found out that the wheel I mentioned is in fact an adjustment for the radio volume in the back of the car! I think the instrument lights are adjusted by rotating the rod of the light switch itself. Maybe if I sit in the car twirling the rod back and forth they'll some how come on. Maybe not!
    Thanks!
    Rusty1

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Rusty I didn't see your response to this post. Are your tail lights working? If so it most likely is a bad light switch or fuse to the dash lights. Maybe even a loose or broken wire. If you can locate main dash wire you could jump a hot wire to see if the lights come on.
    Sitting around just twirlling your rod is not a good thing, even in the UK.

14. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Dash! Dash my lights.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, tail lights and headlights are OK, only lights not working seem to be above the dash. I think that the brightness of the dash lights is controlled by turning the switch - the one you pull to make the headlights come on. Heck, isn't it difficult to describe exactly what you mean with words? Perhaps you fellas might want to pop over for a cup of tea and I'll show you.
    Thanks!
    Rich

15. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I let my '73 Pontiac Grand Ville set for awhile, I have to rotate my dimmer switch a few times to get the dash lights to illuminate then they are fine again for awhile. I think rust builds up on the contacts, especially if you live in a damp climate. You may want to try this.

Good luck!