1972 Pinto Wagon $6900

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by ken1939, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

That's more like how I remember it also, especially a plastic shield being installed and it was in the hatchback models only, the wagons were not blowing up.

When all the scandal and lawsuits were going I seem to remember something about that Ford prior to the Pintos production knew about the problem and could have corrected it but it came down to the been counters over ruling because it would cost a whole chump change $10-12 extra on the assembly line.

And yet Ford did not brake any laws as the Pinto passed all government safety regulations at the time of production ....... So who do you really blame?:slap:

Edit>>>>.

Quote.......
    Experts calculated the value of a human life at around $200,000, while a serious burn injury was worth about $67,000. Using an estimate of 180 deaths and 180 serious burns, someone put on paper that the cost to redesign and rework the Pinto's gas tank would cost close to $137 million, while possible liability costs worked out to around $49 million.

Finally, in September 1978, Ford issued a recall for 1.5 million 1971-76 Pinto sedans and Runabouts, plus all similar 1975-76 Mercury Bobcats, for a safety repair. Each car received a new fuel-tank filler neck that extended deeper into the tank and was more resistant to breaking off in a rear-end collision. A plastic shield was installed between the differential and the tank, as well as another to deflect contact with the right-rear shock absorber.

(While not totally immune from the hazards of rear-end collisions, station wagons -- with their 10 extra inches of rear-end sheetmetal and different configuration for the fuel filler -- were deemed far safer, and were not a part of the recall notice.)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1971-1980-ford-pinto12.htm

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No V6 option available for the '72 Pinto. In fact, there was no choice of engines at all in '72 or '73 (unless you count take it or leave it as a choice). They all came with the 2000 cc Ford of Germany OHC four -- with, as I recall, a whopping 82hp.

Normally, I'd say the asking price of this car was out of line, but with a car this clean maybe not. Again, it's a case of you're not being able to buy one and put it into this condition for less. And it's in Pittsburgh, where some say rust was invented. Probably not a native.

We Pinto owners are used to people ragging on our cars. Nowadays, I hear more people say they like them than not. Years ago, people ragged on all wagons. Now they've learned better.

3. finsrin

finsrin Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So true !
    I know from fixing to partial restorations of my cars.
    Doubt I seen a Pinto wagon this century. Getting rare.

4. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    yeah man !

part of the problem with any of the Fords that had that "blowing up problem", is that they really didn't have floors in the back-back section. But the wagons had to, to keep the people from falling out. there's a barrier in the wagons the hatchbacks just don't have.

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Actually, the coupe and 'Runabout' (hatchback) had a 1600cc engine standard, with the 2-liter optional. The wagon came standard with the 2-liter.

In '74, a 2.3 liter became available.