'62 Pontiac Tempest - Inland Empire, CA - $5,000

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by Krash Kadillak, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    NOTE: Not my vehicle. Contact seller listed in the ad info..
    ------------------------------------------------------------

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4595048848.html

62 Pontiac tempest - $5000

Ad text:
    62 Pontiac Tempest station wagon. 1/2 v8 , carburetor needs to be rebuilt. Pictures on request.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

These are very interesting cars, rear trans axle (almost the same as a Corvair) independent rear suspension, "rope" driveshaft, the right 1/2 of a 389 V-8.

This example is my least favorate year of the 3, and is overpriced. No mention of what version of the 194 slant 4, 1 or 4bbl, high or low compression? And the interior is so sun damaged even the plastic speedo housing is melted!
    If it runs and drives, and has the 4bbl slant 4 and has a solid body it could be worth $2000-2500.00

Thanks for posting it.

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, same as what I thought. Overpriced quite a bit for what you get.

If I wanted one of these, I would probably search out a '63 with the 326........

4. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    hey, hey, hey.

It's worth more, historically, with the Four. The price would jump, even with a 283. This would be like having a Buick wagon with one of those V6's.

5. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I can't imagine there's many of these Tempest wagons left out there. I don't remember seeing a lot of them when they were new and most of those are probably long gone by now.

6. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Of these my 1st choice would be a 61 with the optional Buick 215 V-8, but they made so few of those that I would settle for a 63 with the 326 as my 2nd choice. The rear suspension was much improved in 63.
    Also this is 1 of the few cars I would prefer an Automatic trans on. I once drove a 4bb high comp, manual trans 63 Tempest, and while it drove normally under most conditions, without actually trying I was able to induce the worst case of clutch chatter that started the driveshaft vibrating with it. I had never before or after driven a car that had that kind of vibration with out there being something large, expensive and vital actually being broken! Some years later I was able to drive a friends 63 Lemans coupe with the same drive line. And the Automatic trans seemed to really smooth the car out. Even though I did not care for the 2 speed transaxle.

That same friend then went on to install a 455 Pontiac in place of the 194 slant 4, and the real improvement was when he replaced the stock transaxle with one from a Porsche 928! And it almost bolted in! he just had to make 1 adaptor for the front 2 mount bolts, and because he decided to keep the stock rear brakes he had to have some custom 1/2 shafts made.

I was really tempted to buy it from his estate when he passed, but I didn't have the $$$$ his family wanted for it.

7. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

I can't get at all excited about this wagon. It has, to me, a very undesireable drivetrain, needs everything, and is way too high priced. Lots of other 4 cyl wagons out there.........if i wanted one.

8. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I would think the Porsche transaxle could handle the 455 better than the two speed auto!